Emelie: Doing it right... the second time

Post a build of your car or project HERE
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Emelie: My M50NV do-it-all sedan

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:43 am

Yoshi wrote:<_< wtf is up with the motor meow?

You did pull it out of a mud pile.

Another oil leak, but its coming from the rear passenger side of the block between cylinders 3 & 4. I have brake cleaned the entire side and it is getting moist in an area I cannot get a good picture of, but there is no oil above, below, or around it. Nothing on the exhaust side carries oil over that point except for the manifolds, which are dry and not slick or showing signs of burned oil.

Yeah, I did pull it out of a mud pile, and now I am paying for it. It's like trying to paint on a canvas with holes in it that get patched as you find them, and yes, I realize the folly of this endeavor.

As for the V6... Nissan's VQ30DEK. With a warranty from LKQ for $400 shipped + $450 shipped 6 speed from a 350z/G35 + $100 variable length intake manifold + $30 junkyard cams + $300 driveshaft = pretty fun to drive and 220whp. It's more work for something I am intimately familiar with, and it weighs ~400lbs all together with the transmission. It gets tiring to run to Yoshi for help with little things I'm not aware of; would rather be in a domain I know to the point that I occasionally have dreams about it. This has been done in E30s before so the path is well documented enough for me.

ponycarman wrote:Awesome konis! What mods are you having to do to get them to fit? Are you talking about shortening them?

I bought Yoshi's old coilovers that use stock height Koni Sports. They do need to be shortened to use these dampers with the proper stroke, otherwise you bottom them out or end up with the dampers working in an odd part of their motion range and sacrifice some of the additional travel they give you, thus making this entire conversion worthless. An inch of the strut tube was chopped off under the threaded section, and was re-welded on by a good friend of ours who can weld pretty damned well. I discovered the driver's side strut tube was bent, so I took it to said friend to verify it was fixable, and straighten it out so I could use it. Ground Control provided 3" long metal spacers to place under the dampers; our friend chopped them down to an inch, afaik, so they could be used in my coilovers.

M20_fever wrote:Very nice units! Can you post a closer pic of the rear shock mounts? Those don't look spherical, like they only move on one axis?

Correct, these will primary move back and forth (axial play), with slight side to side (radial) movement.

$48 shipped for the gauge, install kit, and the 1/8" NPT temperature sender.

I am annoyed this fitting was $30 shipped, but getting one made locally would've cost the same.

The coilovers are in, but alas, the battery has died. The outer tie rods could stand to be replaced, so I might replace both of them since it's not running yet. I can't wait to get the rears done (LOL an hour or less of work) and then bed in the new brakes!

Edit: This means my Eibach OE sport springs that were in the car are now for sale for $200 + shipping, and include my old stock length Koni Sport dampers if you want them, but they could use a rebuild. I have other Konis for sale, too, but I'll need to take pics and make a thread for them.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:21 am

oil leak between 3 and 4. your valve cover isn't flat. It's weeping oil. It'd very doubtful it's HG related and I can't think of anything else in that area that has oil. That or your VC gasket died.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Yoshi wrote:oil leak between 3 and 4. your valve cover isn't flat. It's weeping oil. It'd very doubtful it's HG related and I can't think of anything else in that area that has oil. That or your VC gasket died.

New valve cover was verified flat by Norpa and they checked it for cracks. VC gasket is new and not leaking (yet).
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:39 pm

then where the hell is the oil coming from? Sure it isn't the timing cover?
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:40 am

It's puking coolant even after the head swap, with cylinder head coolant temps below/around 215F max since the gauge was installed. I'm giving up on this block and will yank the head off it once I find another engine. I really hope I don't need to get a donor 325i or 525i to find one... not in the financial position to go VQ given all the health related crap that has bothered me as of late.

Color me depressed; I have put under 400 miles on the car this year :(
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:39 am

could be worse. I put 1/4 mile on my car!
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Re: Emelie: Doing it right... the second time

Postby pr0craztinazn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:36 pm

I bought a 170k-ish M50TU long block for $250 yesterday. It's missing all the sensors, but it appears to have been regasketed (new rear main, headgasket, etc), the top end is clean, and hey look, VANOS. Bonus points for not leaking anything (yet). I also picked up a '93 325is to flip and use as a parts template while my swap is underway. I've decided if this engine blows, I'm selling the car. With that said, I'm going to attempt to fix everything I didn't bother to correctly before on this go-around, so I have to source a bunch of HVAC bits and figure out the godforsaken non-functional rear window issue.

I can deal with the car being down for a while if I end up with something I can daily when its less than 75F outside and be happy with.
Last edited by pr0craztinazn on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:46 pm

I looked at the late model 4 door I was talking about. Rusty rusty. otherwise nice lol.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:53 pm

I hate doing stuff twice, but if your gonna do it, I agree, do it right this time. Sounds like a solid engine, fail for no pics though.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:56 pm

More fail for no pics, but it looks like busting my ass at work is paying off with a different position. The best part of this will no longer be working night shift! That means weekend track days and more energy to actually work on stuff when I get home! I've got a lot of personal life changes coming in the next 6 months, so I'm going to need this car running soonish, at least, so I have one thing less to worry about when I move.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:30 pm

congrats man, night shifts suck. Moving also sucks though, so good luck, lol.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:32 pm

Cuz you don't have enough balls in the air. At least things are starting to work your way.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:22 am

Congrats on the new position!
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:44 pm

This happened yesterday :( I'm going to get another one, but it looks like I'll be setting up my flip project E36 to be my winter daily, and will be getting the E30 set up as my backup car.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:57 pm

WTF happened?? Hope everyone is ok, must have been a hell of a hit!
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Builds”