Emelie: Doing it right... the second time

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Emelie: Doing it right... the second time

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:36 am

M20_fever wrote:WTF happened?? Hope everyone is ok, must have been a hell of a hit!

This! Looks like a very hard hit, hope you alright.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Someone cut around on the inside lane on a 3 lane highway in the rain and clipped the front passenger side. I suppose the weight had shifted rearward due to being on throttle to negotiate the bend in the highway and start climbing up the hill that is there; the front end lost traction and the car slammed into a jersey wall, then climbed it and flipped to land on the opposing guard rail on the other side of the highway. The front wheel that was attached to the torn off LCA is fine looking up front but bent like a pretzel on the inside. Got a check for the car and have been daily driving the F250 for the past month and a half.

You'd think I would have found time to make more progress, but nope. I didn't let the wreck derail my plans to find a place of my own, and I am now slowly moving into my new apartment, which is about 20 minutes closer to work. Work... the place where I spend entirely too much time :(

Does anyone know if the M52 crank trigger wheel + harmonic balancer is interchangeable with the M50TU's? I need that + 6 pin MAF + a red label 413 DME in order to start my M50TU swap. After daily driving the truck and spending ~$600/month on diesel, I'd much rather drive something fun and light again. 22mpg from something that weighs around 7300lbs is nice, but 30mpg from a manual transmission equipped BMW would be so much better.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 pm

not sure on the trigger wheel, but I can relate to the cost of driving a diesel f250 every day. Working on a new DD project right now that will save me about $200/mo just in fuel, not to mention no more $100 oil changes every 8 weeks, and $60 fuel filters every 15k miles...
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 pm

It's the same
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 am

Yoshi wrote:It's the same

I have roped in a friend who's old Miata had my blood/sweat/tears in as much as his to help me swap this once the balancer, MAF, and DME arrive. Now I just hope the weather will hold up...
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Finally starting to pay down his life debt to you? lol.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Yoshi's influence, for one, isn't helping. I might be selling the M50B25Tu I've yet to drop into my car for a 3.2L NV. Otherwise, I've made pretty much zero progress since my last update. I might do a brake job write up at some point in the near future because it's on the list of things to do.

I still need a functional (4 pin) MAF and crank pulley. People want a fortune for the MAFs online and I haven't had the chance to hit a junkyard yet.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Brake job writeup would be great!
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:27 am

Just bought a MAF and set up my soldering station in the apartment. Need to keep that momentum rolling since I am 95% certain I going to go on a selling spree in order to comfortably fund drifting this year.

Edit: Ordered a VANOS timing pulley as pictured, and got a Non-VANOS. Seller isn't responding to my e-mails so it's Paypal dispute time.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

the fuck is a vanos timing pulley? I probably have one lying around. Unless you mean the splined cog that goes into the vanos unit... ain't go that.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:34 am

Yoshi wrote:the fuck is a vanos timing pulley? I probably have one lying around. Unless you mean the splined cog that goes into the vanos unit... ain't go that.

The harmonic balancer/crank trigger wheel.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Ah... Don't I not have the one you want? I have non vanos ones or something.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:36 pm

The MAF showed up a few days ago. I was going to hit the junkyard to grab a harmonic balancer + a spare E36/E34 chassis side connector to make an adapter harness from, but the E36 got inspected and tagged yesterday. Thus, I've been wasting time cleaning that instead, and will be for another week or two until the new shocks arrive for it & I can get them installed. Saving money daily driving the E36 should yield more money for track stuff in the long run.

In reality, I am going to build my safety fund up and focus on getting another job. I've also got my AE86 to get running. Once I feel secure at the new job, it's track time.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Wait, you have an AE86? I demand pictures!
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:36 am

The above were pictures during its clean period and before I lowered it, then put it back to stock, then tore it apart for a GT-S conversion... 4 years ago.

The worst part about doing things "right" is that it usually costs more. Combined with the other craziness (got a new job, health problems, etc) that has occurred over the past 4 months, and I'm not really sure if the E30 will be running and drifting before the end of the season. Just managing my time to get the AE86 together, running, and gone is difficult enough, and I'd rather do that first since that car has everything I need for it already purchased. The E30 still needs other random bits for it to go together with no mechanical corners cut. I'm still also trying to unload all my E36/E46/FC/NA6/fox body Mustang/Datsun S30/Nissan S13 bits that I had lying around, too, in an effort to clear up space and free up cash. My E36 was traded and replaced by a 2010 Prius, which has been very helpful with regards to overall stress reduction.

I picked up the harmonic balancer from a M52, a 21mm convertible front sway bar, a spare late model coolant reservoir, and another antenna to plug up the hole left from my broken one for $70 this weekend. The E30 should be emerging from garage hibernation so I can clean out the oil that has leaked from having the block windowed by exiting rods.

Parts I still need:
- AKG M/S5x swap mounts, as one of my green E28 ones has torn
- Trans mounts (same deal)
- Oil pan/oil pump/oil pump pick up gaskets
- Beisan Systems VANOS seal kit, since I'd rather fix this while it's out
- Water pump o-ring
- Thermostat housing gasket

Return to “Builds”