Emelie: Doing it right... the second time

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Re: Emelie: Doing it right... the second time

Postby Yoshi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:34 am

oil pump can stay. It's just the pickup and pan that's different. My offer still stands.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:39 am

Spencer stripped EVERYTHING off this M50Tu; needs a bunch of things that technically are included with a "long block." In hindsight, I should've just told him to fuck himself when I saw what I was getting, and driven back home instead of settling for this.

Even if you help me put it back together, I can't easily justify more than one event this year given all the other crap over my head. My lack of health insurance right now is terrible.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:17 am

That wasn't my offer. Lol. I told you to sell ERRTHANG.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:56 pm

It's the beginning of December and I finally sold my AE86, and I have zero regrets. I have about 5 more loads of stuff to move with my F250 before I can send that off to get a new front diff, drive shaft, left front ball joints, and steering box replaced so the truck will pass state inspection and I can sell it. The Prius will be getting traded or possibly repurchased by Toyota due to all the issues it has had in the past month, so that leaves me with the E30, and either a FRS/BRZ, Focus ST, or Fiesta ST as the new daily driver, because I'm so tired of dealing with used car problems. Life is too short to drive stuff that isn't fun in some way.

When the old cars are gone, I'll be placing a couple of orders with AKG for engine mounts, trans mounts, rear subframe mounts, and some other little bits, and for bits to get my VANOS M50 re-gasketed and sorted so it will end up in my E30. The M50 still turns smoothly with the plugs removed, although I should get an oil pan back on it so I can move the thing and keep moisture out of the bottom end. It looks like I'll be having a shop fix the car, but that isn't really firm yet. After all, I have a garage at my disposal at my new place, small as it is, and time now that I start my new position next week.

It's been a year full of changes, and I'm happy to note the E30 is the one vehicle that will be staying with me through this process.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:02 pm

wise choice, e30s are getting so damn expensive it would be hard to replace if you sold it. Honestly if anything catastrophic happend to mine I doubt I could bring myself to pay for another clean one given what current market is for them.

go for the brz/frs, only rwd car in your list.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Recently took a look at most of the fun cars in that category. The FRS is a cool car, but I'm not sure I would recommend it as a DD to most people.

While technically a 2+2, auto journalists aren't exaggerating when they say the rear seats are USELESS if you're tall. My friends dad who is around 6' had to have the seat back against the rear seat to be comfortable. I'm 5' 8," and while sitting in the driver's seat, my friend who is roughly the same height was pretty cramped behind me. I just couldn't really see the point of the rear seats.

The seats are nice (the optional Recaros in the Fiesta were nicer, if a little ricey), but otherwise, you can tell the car was built on a budget. Interior materials are sub-par compared to other cars in the price range, and some elements in the engine bay (sheet metal, brackets) seemed pretty cheap. Overall, you can tell that the money spent on the car's development was put into make it fun to drive and sporty, versus giving it higher-end appointments.

I could see it as a new-car alternative for my S2000, but many people don't like to DD cars that small.

I REALLY liked the Fiesta ST (maybe in a couple years, after I'm out of school...). It seems like the perfect DD for someone without a large family. The Focus felt very much the same as the Fiesta, only larger. The Chevy Sonic RS was surprisingly nice, but it was just too small. Without laying down the rear seats, there's hardly any room in the rear hatch area. The comparably low performance figures are also disappointing.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:42 am

I like naked women.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:16 am

Sounds like you have a car shuffle a plenty. I've had close to 9 different cars in the last 8 months or so and the one to stick with me is my 318is : ) Here's to hoping everything keeps working out for you!
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:18 am

Another update: I traded my Prius for a Fiesta ST, and it has been a barrel of laughs. After test driving everything from this up to '09 Porsche Cayman S, a couple of FR-S/BRZs, and many things in between, I know now that I made the best choice for a daily.

I hauled my M50Tu off to a machine shop I trust, who told me that multiple cylinders failed a leak down test. While I could pay for it to be rebuilt, I'd end up with a (fresh) M50Tu, and that's it. I could buy a used S50 or S52 for that kind of money, but none that seem reputable are for sale around here. There is the option of buying a M54 rotating assembly and having that swapped in, but that relies on finding that for sale in good condition, or buying a M54, disassembling it, and hoping it's in good shape.

There is also the possibility of just swapping engines to something else entirely: a 1JZ is a plausible option, although I'd have to wire up the harness, find a transmission and flywheel, buy mounts/radiator/driveshaft, and hope that the used engine isn't another lump of failure. All swaps have unexpected costs, so the chances of it working out the first time around with no snags are slim. I'd prefer to have this done soon, but with work being the way it is, I'm not often in town to work on it, which is both a curse and a blessing.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:00 pm

My bro is parting out his s52 swap in an attempt to buy my car. FYI
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:36 pm

Interesting that you got a Fiesta ST. I was researching getting my wife a normal Fiesta and kept finding a lot of good things about the ST, might test drive one if the M3 falls through. What do you like about it? And yay Yoshi and his abundance of S52s! :P
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:33 am

I wouldn't say abundance. There does seem to be a lot of them floating around though.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:51 am

Meh, I'm done with this one, too. $2200 firm takes the car with 0 mile Ground Control Race dampers + Yoshi's old BC Racing 12k/18k springs on Ground Control camber/caster plates, M50 non-VANOS swap that runs and drives, 3.73 LSD, spare fuel pump, stainless steel brake lines, a brand new FFD 3600CFM cooling fan, a new battery, and a Peerless/Hik Fabrications heavy duty skid plate. I have full records from the previous owner, as well.

Negatives: cooling system boils over after 15-20min even with the old Spal fan hardwired on and having the car pressure bled more than a few times now. The car comes with a spare cylinder head, headgasket, head bolts, etc to swap the head, although since that has been done already on the engine that is now in the car, I'd consider pulling it to have the block decked or just replace the engine entirely.

Body wise, there are some dents in the driver's side front fender and a small dent in the driver's side rear quarter panel. The left rear trunk pocket has a rust hole. At this price, it's a bunch of useful parts for a swap car or a good project basis that comes with a free chassis.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:45 pm

Getting another one? Glws.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Perhaps one familiar to a few on the board... Maybe? Plz?

Return to “Builds”