This is Sofie- Latest Update and Video on pg 12

Post a build of your car or project HERE
glucklich21
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: This is Sofie- S50 being refreshed

Postby glucklich21 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Good enough of an update? That was 39,922 characters!

ss45466
I <3 E30's

Postby ss45466 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Awesome man!!

Great work!
ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Completely stunning and amazed! In a very good way. Awesome work!
1986 325es
1995 525i
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm still reading through it <_<
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 pm

ponycarman wrote:Completely stunning and amazed! In a very good way. Awesome work!

this.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:31 pm

That is impressive.
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Yoshi wrote:I'm still reading through it <_<

Don't feel bad Yoshi, I'm proud people are actually reading it. Most just sort of skim through looking at pics. :)

And a big ol' thanks to everyone else for the complements!
toointoxicated62
I <3 E30's

Postby toointoxicated62 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:27 pm

i skim. -_-
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:38 am

glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am

Alright to pick up from the last update I had oil and ATF soaking inside with the pistons to clear up some surface rust on the cylinder walls. With that being a success, I hooked up the battery and let the engine pump it out through the spark plug holes.

This process = ATF and oil all over you nice clean engine bay.

However, there's another outlet for the fluids to go I completely forgot about. Luckily I had some cardboard....

With that done I moved onto the new spark plugs. Cleaned up the holes first tho.

I know they aren't NKGs, but they are cheap and are only going to be in there for 100 miles or so till all possible crap is cleared from the engine.

I reinstalled the coils afterwards. Note the studs for the grounding strap for the coils. The S50 calls for two studs, but only one ground strap. I have zero clue why.

Here we have the intake. Sanding the fins didn't turn out the way I had planed, but it works. I can always replace it with another down the road if it bothers me enough.

I took out the 21.5 # injectors to install the old 17#ers as I lack my 540 maf and my TRM chip. Don't want to drown the engine in fuel.

Friday this came in. Basically the last things I was waiting on to button up the engine.

Here we have new PS steering lines, a new res, rear head coolant hoes, and hardware for the new lines, plus belts. Thanks Autohaus!

Then there's this. I wonder what it could be.....

Why a new parallel AC condenser. :) I will be doing a write up for 24v AC systems once everything is said and done.

Spent $43 on coolant because I had enough people question my motives with the Prestone. After doing some research they had valid reasons and made a trip to the stealer.

I had mounted the intake to check clearance.

Used a zip tie and a nitrite glove to cover the outlet to the booster till I have the right hoses for it.

Hooked up the coolant hoses to the heater core. The spider hose goes on TOP and the hose coming from the head goes on the BOTTOM.

Pics of my starter's E36 leads. The two small gauge wire have different size openings on the eyes so you can't screw that up. The large terminal is shared with the wire leading from the alternator (black wire) and the wire hooked up to the battery terminal (red wire).

Next up was the old foe, power steering. On my other E30 I had nothing but problems with it. I intended to fix that with this one. I grabbed the main high pressure hose from the other E30 since it's relatively new and cleaned it up a little. Didn't really do any good.

At this point, I still don't have a pump for this engine, so I stole the one off of my M50.

I had previously painted it after giving it a good cleaning. Paint and grime do not mix, so it looked like shit. Since I didn't want it looking like that in my bay, I decided to soda blast it.

To do this I need to remove the pulley with a gear puller, remove hardware, and seal everything off.

Anyway still not much better, but at least it is clean.

See the bracket that goes to the oil pan, take note E36 pump users, you do not have this. You need it

I had also installed the E34 oil sending unit a while back.

To put on the belts, take your ratchet and turn clockwise on the tensioner to relieve tension.

Everything just slips on after that.

New power steering stuffs. Do not buy this stuff from BMW. They recently updated their catalogue and up'ed the prices on a few things. PS lines and the res being one. The res use to be $18, it is now $60! That main hose I reused, that was $70, now $108 at the cheapest online.

The new hardware

Tools required: 19mm socket, 19mm ratcheting wrench (makes things easier), and a 22mm socket.

By the time I was working on this part it was dark and I had changed plans. Pics were also not coming out, so sorry in advance.

I was originally going to mount the res in the stock location. This wasn't going to happen because of the booster. I had already asked Sam about the E36 location and he said it works in an E30. So that's what I did. I used the E36 hose coming off of the pump to the res (this was replaced it looks like shortly before the M3 was wrecked), E30 high pressure hose, and E30 rack to res line with some bending to prevent a kink.

Anyway everything mounted up and filled. See the leak below?

Easy fix, but I was quite irritated by that point. Just tightened down some more. Both crush washers are present as it's suppose to be. Called it a night after that.

No leaks in the morning thank god.

You can see the set up in these pics.

All that was left for me to start her up was the fuel lines. The previous owner Brian had an OBDII set up in this car. As a result he needed a second pump, pressure regulator, I don't remember. Regardless I have a section missing out off my hard lines and 3 studs under the car. (New lines have been ordered) In the mean time, I'm just bridging the section with fuel tubing.

While I was under there I spotted this. Luckily it was just a small pool that had formed on top of the oil pan where some oil had run down when I squirting some into the valves.

Threw some zip ties on the boots for the E36 rack.

I had also decided to go ahead and replace the filter just in case. I would like to point out when I did this job on my 4 door, my Mann filter was made in the Fatherland, this one, China. Mann I am disappoint...

Then the intake was bolted up and I was able to do this. (This is the second start, filmed with my iPhone so not great).

[SIZE="6"]SHE RUNS![/SIZE] [SIZE="2"]-ish[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GaYpkXgtvQ

See how it dies? Well apparently the best I can tell is my pump is bad. I discovered this when I changed out my filter. After putting in the new filter, it took forever so fuel to come out of the lines. So I went to the pump and removed the pressure in the lines. Turned the ignition on and nothing was coming out of the pump. Repeated that again and it worked. Basically it goes like this, posted from my help thread:

1st start: Starts, idle surges to 3k, then settles down and idles, I turn it off. (10 secs running)

2nd start: Starts, idling, then sputters and dies

3rd: Start, one pop from combustion, then dies. Every start after that is the same.

To get it to run again, I have to unplug the battery and the whole process starts again.

Everything is fine as long as there is enough fuel from that first prime, but after that the pump is worthless.

So I'm going to replace the pump as a "hopefully this will fix it" measure. If not, it won't hurt to have a new one. Then I will move onto the other fuel supply parts, mainly the regulator. I had cleaned it and installed new o-rings.

At night I've been messing around with the interior a bit. I tore down a seat to wrap my head around how it goes together and to get it ready for the new material.

The new material is a factory M-Tech Blue cloth set out of a cabrio. For being 20 odd years old, it's in very good shape, but it's missing headrest so I'm in talks with Kevin at Creative Options about getting new headrest and bolsters made. Since his father died a few weeks ago, he's been on leave so that's on hold for a while till he comes back. Sorry for your loss Kevin. :(

There you have it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:18 pm

Can I have some money?

Also, side note:

The part of the belt that goes from the alternator to the water pump should go UNDER that tensioner, not over. Otherwise, the groove in the belt will wear out.
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 am

Hmm thought I already replied to Yoshi.

Any way, when I put on the belts I thought that seemed odd. They've been off since. I'll remember that when I put them back on for the cooling system.

Small update:

My fuel supply issues have been giving me fits. I decided to settle it once and for all. I took another look at the ETM.

Power routing:

Whole power supply for the pump:

The part I eventually focused on

I tested everything to check for power. Relays, fuses, fuel pump connector, and DME pins passed. I was thinking at this point that it was just a bad pump. However after I was playing with the connector and turned on the ignition to test some wiring I heard the pump prime. After taking a closer look, the pigtails inside of the connector were not only loose on the pin, they were crumbling, causing the fuel pump to work randomly.

So I went by the dealer yesterday and placed a rushed order for new pigtails. Should be in by Friday afternoon.

Now that this and the blinkers not working is solved, I can wrap up the harness and focus back on the engine bay. Also my big order to finish up the front and the shifter will be in tomorrow.
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Re: This is Sofie- S50 runs on page 10! :D

Postby glucklich21 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:47 am

Alright mini update time

I've been screwing around with random things this whole time trying to tackle little projects here and there. Problem is there's too many little projects for me to do, so it's taking longer than expected. Then there's the fact of my other E30, I'm trying to get things sorted for it so I can begin on it as soon as this one is "done". I'm using that term loosely because it won't be done in terms of suspension and most likely exterior accessories, but it will be drivable!

My order from Blunt came in. It's very large and odd size is because of the new fuel lines. ;)

A lot of stuff

Rewrapped the engine side of the body harness

Cleaned up the residue

New hardware

New retainer ties for the wires

New drain for the fresh air intake for the blower motor. Obsolete bitch to get in place. I recommend replacing this when the engine is out.

New pulley covers

New radiator mounts

New grommets for the brake lines exiting the engine bay. These are suppose to be under the undercoating. I will be applying fresh undercoating to the fenderwells once I have the front suspension out in the future.

New bumps for the hood hinge

Spotted this while messing with the brake line grommets. It's a bit of rust on one of the battery tray drain holes. So I wire wheeled, rust dissolver, rustolium'd, and undercoated.

Applied a bit of undercoating to the front unibody

Found a way to hide my diagnostic connector.

Perfect!

Revshift poly diff mount showed up. Now if only the rebuilding parts for the diff would...

Threw the front end on to clear up some space in the garage and test some fitment of things. On a side note, I really dig the MT2 bumper with the Alpina valence. Nothing to show here because it's all held on by zip ties at the moment. ;)

I tried to install my new harness covers, but discovered that you have to trim them to clear the intake. Never read of anyone mentioning that. I'm guessing it's because of my AKG swap mounts and the 318i blower motor cover combo. Or people just don't mention somethings about some aspects of the swap. I've learned that quite a few times so far.

Made a templete out of cardboard, then traced it onto the old cover to use as a test piece.

Needed a little bit more modding

Once I had the template down, I made another one out of a sticker and applied it to the new cover.

Started Dremeling

Finished product

My only compaint is I had to cut it enough to clear the motor when it moves about under WOT, etc. As a result depending on the lighting and the angle you look at the engine you can see a little bit of the relay connector. So I may make a seal or something to go around the opening.

I also noticed my new pieces are two different shades of black... *le sigh*

The engine bay is almost done

Still need to finish cleaning the booster

Also need a new fusebox cover, this one is quite crappy

And install the new brakes to fix the ones I fubarred.

Oh right, the radiator too.

Picked this up at the pickapull for $5. It's a auto dimming mirror out of an E34 540i.

I then went ahead and took it apart to see what was inside. I'm thinking of some type of dome lights could fit in the corners with some creative engineering.

Grabbed one of these labels out of an E28. I don't care if the temp is right or not, I love these.

Rewrapped (both inside and outside) 13 button and the cruse control harnesses.

Put the modified Foho skirts on to see how it looks with the valence. The BBS RA's are just to have something to make it roll (and are for sale.) I'm going to snag the MT2 bumper off of my 4 door and see how it looks as a complete package. I think the Style 4s I'm planning on running should make the current skirts passable.

Installed the new leads for the fuel pump. Note, there's two different PN's for the leads in the 2.5mm version. One for pos and one for neg. Make sure you order one of each or this happens.

I'm using some tape to indicate which is the ground. The new connectors are very tight on the prongs. To the point it takes some effort to pull them off. As a result, my fuel pump now works when it's suppose to. Just need a new connector housing.

Random shot of the new and old front brakes for comparo

Fixed my throttle cable. It wasn't seated in the grommet all the way = idling a tad bit high. So now on a cold start it idles at 1,400 RPMs instead of 1,700.

Pushed the cabrio into the new cleaned out other garage to do some electrical work at night. This is more productive then me lurking the forums all night.

Snagged this at the PNP as well. They are going to be the new under dash lighting. More on this later. ;)

Wiring for the auto dimming mirror. Top is the E34's, bottom is a pigtail for the E30 map light.

Once I took a look at the ETM, I was able to determine the power and ground. All of the other pins are for random E34 features like reversing mirrors, etc. (A chart is easier than diagrams)

Wired the new found wires to the E30 pig tail. I'm using the stock E30 maplight harness for power. So there's no additional wiring and leaves me the possibility of switching back.

Blue tint means it works. This is how it gets darker.

Not dimmed

Dimmed

Also got another crack free dash (one for each E30, the right one is still dirty) and a Bosch 540i maf once I get a chip. :)

Lastly replaced all of the interior bulbs because they all were goners. I'm guessing the old lady who had this car didn't drive it at night.

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 pm

didn't think anything was actually in the rear view mirror. So it runs? video meow!
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:43 am

There's technically a video already posted, you just looked at the pics instead of reading. :P

Here's the one I took when I had the fuel pump woes. It wouldn't stay running hence the shortness and dying.

I should make a new one now that it runs right. However I have to time it right or else I piss off the neighbors and our pesky security guard comes to visit me.

Return to “Builds”