This is Sofie- Latest Update and Video on pg 12

Post a build of your car or project HERE
glucklich21
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: This is Sofie- S50 runs on page 10! :D

Postby glucklich21 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:01 am

If anyone is interested in wiring in additional interior lighting, see this post:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1228517&postcount=139
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:54 am

Yoshi I made a proper video, just have to find the SD card adapter. ;)
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 am

I've been bad about my picture taking lately, so please excuse some of the lack of detail on some of the parts and general lack of flow. I'll make it up on the next update.

What you're seeing here is over a 2 month period. Work and my other E30 has had me very very busy.

Finally bled the coolant system back in early July.

I wanted to install the belts first before I put back in the radiator.

Hooked up my trimmed E34 and E36 hoses.

Installed the new bracket and hardware

The reason I went with a late model set up is so I can use my preferred method of bleeding, forcing coolant into the system. :)

See this overflow nipple? This is where we are going to forcing in coolant.

With a pump on the coolant bottle mixed to a 50/50 concentration of coolant and distilled water.

Procedure:

1. Hook up the pump on the coolant bottle to the nipple on the radiator.
2. Turn the temp knob in the cabin all the way to the right
3. Start pumping, it will take about 3 mins to fill up the overflow tank
4. Once full, reinstall the hose coming from the overflow to the radiator
5. Start up the car and let it warm up to get the thermostat open
6. Top off the coolant in the overflow while the car is running to replace the displaced coolant from the opened thermostat.

If you've done this right, the car should be completely bled and shouldn't require anything else. :)

Topped off the power steering res

Deep Tireshine seemed to do miracles for my valve cover

Alright here's the driveshaft. I removed the harmonic balancer that's on it. I hate them and all they do is get in the way, so off it came. You can drop it on the ground a few times to accomplish this.

See this rubber bit? Safe to say very few e30s have had this replaced. It's what the shaft on the flange on the transmission (<-used because this sentence sounds dirty) slides into. I tried cutting and prying it out to no luck. So I did this......

You can remove it the same way I did to take out the bearing inside of the crank, with paper! + some water...

I put the flange in a vis to hold it in place.

Hammer the bolt into hole to compact the paper.

Slowly but surely

Success!!!!!!

Old, new, and the paper

Front

back

Part number

Installed with grease and quick hit

Installed the new Z3 shifter

Had to rig this up because of the wrong part number ordered. I'll fix it one of these days.

Installed the guibo with new hardware (locking nuts are 1 time use folks)

Mounted up the driveshaft and bolted in the new center support bearing. Since I'm lacking the rest of the pics, I can't really explain how to preload the CSB other than you push it forward.

Threw in the diff out of my 318i at the time as I hadn't started on the refresh of its diff.

Gets a bit random from here on out

This is the foam gasket for the dash vents, well a 20 year old one.

Used some goobie gone gel and a razor blade

New seal PN

New seal installed. Take your time with this, you can only do it once.

My old ICV was seized in the open position, as a result the S50 had trouble idling smoothly. So I bought a new one as well as a new blower resistor as mine was bad. Intake needed to come off for this. I've unfortunately become a pro at remove it by this point. :/

New ICV

New resistor vs. Old

Installed

New fuel hardlines as mine were sectioned because of the old OBD2 set up.

PNs

I have no pics of that install because it was an absolute mess to get in there. Apparently my fuel return is in the bottom of the tank unlike my 318i's that's in the top, so basically during the install I had drained almost my whole tank when I went inside to eat lunch with everything disconnected. Lesson learned and Lake Smelly Old Ass Gas was christen in my garage that afternoon.

To top off my mess, I spilled quite a bit of Redline MTL on the floor filling up the tranny.

Hooked up the brake lines to the MC. I bought new ones since I facked up the old ones the first time I attempted this. I followed up with bleeding the system to test my clutch engagement.

My rear door card inserts to match the interior showed up from England.

Unbolted the horseshoe to install my new black vinyl one I snagged from the yard. I would like to point out that it came off of a black cabrio. So installing this had officially made the cabrio's body panels 80% black. The only part that isn't is the driver's door and the unibody. :rofl1:

Also installed my now not missing parking brake switch from the yard. When that white piece is in its current position in the pic, the light is on because the wire coming from the cluster is being grounded. When you put down the lever, it has a raised section that pushes that white piece off of the bronze loop to stop the connection.

Retrofitted a non airbag column trim. This isn't a plug and play install. I had to trim the top piece like you see here to clear the column support. It started out square on the end.

Also stumbled upon this, I thought I checked it after the same story on the passenger side, but apparently not. Fixed it afterwards.

Lastly I found my unicorn I've been after for a long time before settling on the 3.25 LSD, it's a 3.46 LSD! I've refreshed it since taking this pic, but that will come in the next update.

glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:09 am

And a crappy video. The 335i is apparently louder than a dumping-off-the-header S50. I had to use it to jump start it and it ruined the audio. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QQDHlGghas
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: This is Sofie- Latest Update and Video on pg 12

Postby Yoshi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:54 pm

man you went all out. I'm too cheap for real bmw coolant lol.

Sounds good! Not obnoxious but good tone. :)
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Now that's some impressive work there, good job on doing everything right the first time.

Sounds great too, what are your plans for exhaust?
ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:46 am

Nice work!
1986 325es
1995 525i
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:37 am

Thanks

Yoshi wrote:man you went all out. I'm too cheap for real bmw coolant lol.

Sounds good! Not obnoxious but good tone. :)

Well I saw it as "what's another $20?" Unfortunately that mind set is why the project has become such an undertaking than how I originally planned.

I'm surprised you can hear it over the e90.

Exhaust is going to be a little tricky with those headers, but I've gotten recommendations to a really good local place that specializes in fabrication so I'm going to get the parts I want to use and say "put it together".

I'm going to use the E39 muffler after all. Before it will be a resonator to cut down on rasp. I will be running a high flow cat and maybe a cutout valve if I can swing it. I want to hear the S50 scream to redline every now and then. :)

This will all be going through a single 2.75" piping. I want to dual all the way out, but I'll see how this goes first. If it doesn't cost too much, I'm going to use oval piping around tight areas like near the diff and cross over by the transmission. I'll make a schematic a little later.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:17 pm

i plan to use oval tubing from the down pipe back, leaves room to go lower if needed and looks hella cool.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Thank you for that bleeder method! I'm totally using that when I install my next head. The car is somewhat hard to hear but it looks well done so far!
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:21 am

So I bought a new maf this week for shits and giggles. It came in today and the S50 now runs like it should. GODFUCKINGDAMMITASSCUNTSHITTITS!

I also ordered new Bosch coils and knock sensors. All the other sensors on this engine are new, these might as well be too.

I brought the car to the exhaust shop 2 weeks ago to finally get one put on. I'm running dual 2" off the headers to a dual 2" to single 2.50" Magnaflow (94007) Cat then on to a SLP Resonator and finally to the E39 AC Schnitzer muffler.

The result is a nice growl at idle and through the RPM range that isn't too loud. My only complaint is there's no rasp, which I attribute to the resonator.

As a result, I plan on bringing it back to install a x-pipe, relocate the cat, and remove the resonator. I had dropped off the car and the shop's owner wanted me to leave it for a few days. I told him where I wanted everything, but not exactly. My fault not his. Although for $200 out the door for tubing and labor I can't exactly complain. He had a lot of fun clearing the subframe coming off of the shorty headers. ;)

Pics:

Back from the Shop

I like it sort of flush

We used new factory hangers that were cut in half and rewelded to accommodate the larger width of the muffler.

The exhaust guy (Frank) cut off all the pipeing and welded his own on to clear the diff.

In addition to being in the "not so ideal" location it's going to scrape EVERYWHERE

The paint shop where I got the bay done (for free) can't return phone calls, so I'm looking else where to get the paint done.

The interior is being dropped off at the upholsterer Tuesday. He said we should have it back by the end of the week. So a win there!
Court M3
I <3 E30's

Postby Court M3 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:37 am

Damn can't wait to see this completed.
1983 S50 swapped 323i
1988 M3
1997 z3 1.9
2004 X3 2.5
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:52 am

I can't wait to actually drive the damn thing.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Really coming along! I love perfect exhaust tip fitment! (Don't look at mine, lol)
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Looks good. I got the 3" pipe and it scrapes a lot as well. Need to keep at it.
-Maksim

Need a project for the weekend? Search "MVRK" - 11 Sticky DIY's and counting....

Return to “Builds”