Yoshi's Modded knuckle kit R&D

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Postby Yoshi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:42 pm

I wanted to buy the wisefab kit from euro land but it's >$1500 shipped. That's really not an option. the other thought was to just have some friends that tig weld to modify it for me. While that works. I like the idea of a bolt on kit so if I mess up a strut, I can just bolt this onto a new one.

So onto the theory!

The original idea was to put a slat on top and below the tie rod/control arm mounting points. By looking at the top picture, you see it would have to be a C around the mounting brackets to make the top slat. That doesn't add any structure at all and is probably a bad idea. I don't like the idea. But just a 1/4" slat on the bottom doesn't seem that safe either. Thoughts?

Also, someone want to measure the angle in the picture above? I need to also figure out maximum distance traveled by the tie rod to measure current angle. By Pythagorean theorem, A in the picture is 12.5cm. I need to figure out B so I can get the hypotenuse. This will probably take quite a bit of test and tune.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Yoshi's Modded knuckle kit R&D

Postby M20_fever » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:59 pm

I can look at this later, I'm leaving for a show shortly. Honestly, this can probably be done but your reasons for doing don't make sense to me. If you damage a strut chances are your going to damage the adapter as well. IMO it would be much easier to get the strut welded, and if you damage it get the new one welded, or better yet get 2 sets welded up do you have spares to swap in.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:14 pm

*shrugs* I COULD do that. It's a last resort. I might be able to make some cash if I can mass produce these. The idea was to build a prototype and take it to a machinist to have it produced.
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:12 pm

I guess since I have not been online much, I have missed quite a bit.... but what are you trying to achieve here? More angle?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:35 am

More angle. 0 ackerman.
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:00 am

I curious about how removing Ackerman is a good thing for you? Is there a good site that I can go to so I can get this. Sorry if I sound stupid lol! I just don't get it!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:59 am

Uhhh there are some SAE papers on it. The simple way of explaining it is that in drifts, the ackerman effect is reversed and thus fighting against you. 0 ackerman gives you some good traction going non sideways but also decent while going sideways. It'll save on tires and give me more grip.
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:54 am

Interesting... I would have never thought about that. Any more progress on this project?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:25 pm

It's on the back burner as it isn't necessary to get my car driving again. This might wind up being a winter project. I do too many things at once...
e30orDie
I <3 E30's

Postby e30orDie » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:45 pm

about that time....       -yuush-      Lol I had to do that =P

I've been looking into this, and at this point....  I'm really trying to find out more about the top mounts in the WF kit.

The bottom plate looks like it will be simple enough to make IMO.   We have discussed this at my local machine shop.   At this point it's really all about getting the hemi joints, and according studs / hardware.

As far as our e46 arms go, I think we have enough room to put an eccentric type / offset hemi socket, (cut half the cup off, slide offset in, weld up{prosfessionally...  Aluminum is wicked shit, when done right}) in the large cup that our spindle bolt joint lays in.   This could possibly correct for what WF is correcting for in their top mounts-   This is all hypothetical (their top mount correction vs a possible bottom mount correction)

Stumbled across these photos, (nothing new... But good shots of components) I think they're pretty self explanatory.   However, there no top mount correction in one of these kits...... Hmmmm?

(sorry photos are small)

ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:06 pm

What scorcery is this????? Is there any mounted photos of this setup? Looks crazy!
e30orDie
I <3 E30's

Postby e30orDie » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Those photos are a kit made by Sean on one of the bimmer forums. They actually banned him for marketing the kit on the site, and not being a sponsor- or sum shit...

Regardless, lucky for everyone else.... They left his thread up, his kit with control arms are 800$. While cheaper than the WF, it doesn't have te same degree of lock, and I can't say the difference in amount of ackerman corrected.... I would say the WF one would correct the most, due to the top strut mounts being totally moved from the rough are of a factory or camber plate location. This is what I'm trying to counter address at the bottom of the strut... Due to the fact I'm on HR races, and I don't have the spare money to go the route I'd like too in coilovers / I would like to find a j-stock setup, which once again.... Would limit me in the area left in the strut tower for "corrective-ness", thus why I'm pondering the bottom mount solution.

After looking at the WF top mounts, it looks like the top strut is moved out (camber correction) but then moved forward? Which would kill caster gained w/ our e46 arms. UNLESS I'm looking at them wronge..... This is what has me confused / perplexed atm
e30orDie
I <3 E30's

Postby e30orDie » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Dunno if anyone else has seen the instal over at r3v of the WF kit, but I stole some images from it:

NOT e30 kit....

E30 kit...

Install of control arm correction block (wanna keep things parallel) and also moves the tie rod point closer to the pivot point of the strut (what is achieved with 240sx modded knuckles for ex.)

On to top mounts...
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:40 pm

I dislike so many parts of this kit. I want mine to be strictly bolt on. With basically just the mod bracket. The more I look into it, the more it's just simpler to have someone cut and weld the stock strut.
hella 325
I <3 E30's

Postby hella 325 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 pm

What are you running currently? Specifically what don't you like about the WF kit?

Return to “Builds”