MY E30 build

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Podge30
E30 Guy
AntiSpam: No

MY E30 build

Postby Podge30 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:44 am

I picked this e30 318i up a bit ago, Im going to use it as a daily and a street skidder.After selling my R33 Skyline i was looking for something to use as a daily. I have never looked at or thought about Buying an E30 but my G/F loves then so when i fould this one for sale for $650 obo she insisted we have a look. The car is what you expect for a $650 car thats on the road. Its rough, the paint on the roof is almost white, the interiour is dirty and in poor condition but mechanicly it seems fine. So here we are i now own a 1985 E30 318i with 160,000 km on it.

So here was the first day! i owned the car! Started buy pulling off the tow bar and pulling back all the tape around the loome to find where the towbar loome was joined into the cars loome so that i could pull the loome out properly.

Next on the list was an oil and filter change ........... check out the oil that came out of this motor! it was the worst! and had clumps in it!!!

Then came time to change the plugs WTF????? Seriously has this car never been serviced?

The car seemed to run alot nicer now! and was going good untill i had to pick my sisterinlaw from the airport and i lost my brakes!!! that was scary! I got it home (10 min drive) using my hand brake and down gearing lol It ended up that the rear wheel cylinder was leaking that bad that i had no brake fluid left lol! the next day i went out and got a discbrake conversion for the ass

As a mate and i got under the car to have a look at the brake broblem we noticed some other problems lol!!!! Every bush was destroyed! sway bar links where stuffed, drive shaft boots where split and everything else seemed to be stuffed or almost stuffed ;) Fun times! So i started ordering parts from everywhere. While i waited for parts to get delivered i started working on some other problems.

There was a small bit of rust in the back of the car so i got my wire wheel started to clean it up! the little rust ended up being half decent so i now need to get a bit to weld in, I covered up the area with some eatch primer to try stop feather rust.

Next bit was to tear the boot appart it was stained and full of shit from the old owner lol! here we go.
This is the boot as it was.

All stripped out and sandded

And all primered up waiting to be painted when i fix the rust hole.

Found this guy on ebay cheap! its an Mtech1 wheel

Next thing i did was paint the headlight surrounds and grille black (Painted at the bottom old at the top)

While i was at it i got some other headlights and cleaned them up they look brand new

All put together

FINALY PARTS!!!!!!!!! they started to arrive

I started to get ready to do the rear disc brake conversion, i painted up all the rear controllarms and subframe

More parts arrived

So i got started on the front springs and shocks as i waited for my bush kit to come!

Front KYB shocks and BAV auto springs in the front.

Then these bad boys rocked up!!!!!! 90shA ratted bushes! these are so ****ing stiff its not funny.

Time to start on the back! I took appart the whole back of the car! Springs and shocks came out, Subframe and controll arms came out and the diff came out as well

The new discbrake subframe and controll arms painted with the new bushes in!

Diff getting its new bush!

Last edited by Podge30 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Podge30
E30 Guy

Re: MY E30 build

Postby Podge30 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 am

And TA DAAAA!!!! New bushes, disc brake conversion, new discs and pads, new gabrial ulra shocks, new bav springs. New black bonnet as well.

Then i painted these

and this

Not a big update but yeah! hopefully ill have some decent news tomorrow

Old controllarm bush on the left VS new solid bush on the right

New bush on

This is how he sits atm

And my main man tom playing with controllarms or swaybars or some shit

We started to fiber glass the hole in the back! we wire wheeled it back hard and then put on some rust converter then layed down the fiberglass! Tommorrow i will start to clean it up and do some bog work!

Next i mounted up my start button! i realy have no need for this but its kind of cool in an old school car i think!

And just a random pic of my storage area aka my car :(

More work on the old rust hole

From this

To this :)

Just need some paint!

Grabbed some paint for the back part of the car! i didnt care if the color was spot on or not as long as it was kindo of dark blue! So i grabbed a can of Australian exports finest in a dark blue and well its not exactly dark blue! lol FML! now to sand back and buy another color!

Color match fail!

So last night i got a few things done!
Fitted the driveshaft and the new subframe bracket

Also fixed the shifter and mounted it and the tailshaft. I just need to hook the exhaust up and replace the front controll arms and tierod ends and mount the swaybar then it should be on the ground again!!!!

These are the new solid shifter brackets vs the old ones :eek:

Also just a random shot

So we cut the parcelshelf material out it still needs to be stuck down its just sitting on it at the moment! We also cut out and sowed all of the seats i just need some foam to fix a few bits and that should be all done!

Also got these!

And these

so i hope to have this car back off of the jack stands within 2 weeks and in to roady asap!

And my new sticker that came today!!!!! :)

So last night i got a few things done!
Fitted the driveshaft and the new subframe bracket

Last edited by Podge30 on Wed May 23, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Podge30
E30 Guy

Postby Podge30 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:48 am

Got a bit of work done for once I got all of the controll arms in properly so now I'm just waiting on my tierods to come.

I got my swaybar in today What a ****ing struggle! The front swaybar D bush are so stiff (they are a 90sha rated) they would not squash down to let the swaybar D bracket fit into the slot then bolt up as soon as you want to turn the bracket so you can line the hole up it would pop out so finally buy using a hammer, screwdriver and a 2 ton bottle jack and my 2.8 ton snap on trolley jack they are in ;)

also got the parcel shelf done and the seats are almost done just need to re assemble the seats again and it's almost rwc and rego time :)

Here is the parcel shelf

And the seats all done just need to put them on

New wheels

To do list FML :(

ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Wed May 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Wow thats a whole lot of awesome! Great work!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
1986 325es
1995 525i
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Car looks good. Got any action shots so far?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Great work, love the parcel shelf. Did you install that front valance? I really like it with the euro bumpers.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Podge30
E30 Guy

Postby Podge30 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:22 pm

ponycarman wrote:Wow thats a whole lot of awesome! Great work!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate -grin-

Yoshi wrote:Car looks good. Got any action shots so far?

Nah not yet mate its still not registered hopefully i will have soon!

M20_fever wrote:Great work, love the parcel shelf. Did you install that front valance? I really like it with the euro bumpers.

Thanks mate and yeah its a straight swap over it has a bit of a gap as the plastic bars must be thicker then the euro bars but i think it gives it a bit of a face lift and looks a bit nicer then the old style!
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Wed May 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Wowww Awesome! You did a ton of work right away. haha. No screwing around I take it.
Thanks for sharing and keep up updated! Welcome to e3p!
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Welcome! Great work on your car so far. I want your bumpers haha.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

sooo many pictures
Podge30
E30 Guy

MY E30 build

Postby Podge30 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Nsquared97 wrote:Welcome! Great work on your car so far. I want your bumpers haha.

Thanks! That's what all the American guys say lol

AustinR wrote:Wowww Awesome! You did a ton of work right away. haha. No screwing around I take it.
Thanks for sharing and keep up updated! Welcome to e3p!

Thanks dude and yeah no mucking around here lol!!! Cant wait to rego it again I'm hanging to drive it again!!!

Yoshi wrote:sooo many pictures

I like pictures!!!
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Fri May 25, 2012 2:09 am

I was just looking through you pics again and noticed the way your grille is totally flush with your fenders and hood. Looks really nice. Did you shim it out or something? Cuz mine definitely sits back farther.

Build Thread
Podge30
E30 Guy

MY E30 build

Postby Podge30 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:13 am

AustinR wrote:I was just looking through you pics again and noticed the way your grille is totally flush with your fenders and hood. Looks really nice. Did you shim it out or something? Cuz mine definitely sits back farther.

Lol I just slapped the clips on the top and the screws in the bottom. So maybe I'm just lucky?
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Fri May 25, 2012 2:24 am

Haha nice. I just went out and looked at my car and mine is closer to yours than I thought. The grille pieces are nice and flush, but the kidneys stick out further than yours. Yours is nice and flush with the hood and mine sticks out more...which I guess is opposite of what I said before. haha. my bad.
I'll have to do some massaging because yours looks like sex.

Build Thread
Podge30
E30 Guy

MY E30 build

Postby Podge30 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 am

Lol give it a few months it probably won't sit like that anymore lol

Return to “Builds”