Mei: Erica's E30.

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Mei: Erica's E30.

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Through the wife's old friend, I got a FB message about a cool E30. 1990 325is manual. I drove all the way to woodstock and back. One of the tires was crap/unbalanced/feathered. I paid a grand total of $800 for this car. Ironically, this is hands down the BEST E30 I have ever owned. Aside from my old '02 jetta, I have never owned a car this clean/unrusty. My E46 is rustier than this! Side note, I bought an S52 for this car from PA last weekend for $850 lol.

I've already changed the water pump and timing belt as well as a few gaskets and such. The flat tire was replaced with the spare in the trunk. Gonna reg it soon and start driving it around. The E46 will probably go down for basic maintenance.

PIX!

This is the battery compartment in the trunk. On most cars the bottom part is covered in rust. I see not even a hint.

Diff is a bit leaky and the exhaust is starting to rust but it's leagues better than most cars I see. I think it even has upgraded shocks.

Passenger rear area. Factory jack is a bit rusty but even the factory tow hook is there. Again, NO RUST!

Almost full tool set and the trunk light works.

Exterior paint needs some love. I'm thinking metallic red. Maybe candy?

Faded :(

Sport interior. Seats have seen better days but the dash is almost crackless.

Here's the shocker. The PO said the odo stopped here and he's done about 40k since then. IE this car has gone about 350k!

Clean and stock.

Rare rear view mirror map light and a power sunroof. My old 85 eta had a power sunroof, since then, none of my E30s have had it.

Factory upgraded BBS wheels or something. Center caps are hard to come by. I really don't care but it's cool to see the options on this car.

The plan is to drop this car on some BC coils and snag some sportmax 002s. The wife will track it and it'll be a backup car for me. Nothing fancy. Once the M20 blows or I get all the swap parts, the S52 will go in. *drool*
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: May: Erica's E30.

Postby M20_fever » Wed May 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Id bet money that paint can be saved. Give it a good claybar and buff/wax. Looks clean, pretty much same options as my car minus heated seats.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 pm

how can you tell if it has heated seats? Didn't even know that was an option.

Paint isn't that great. I'd have to finish stripping the clear. I think I'm just gonna sand with some 400 grit and slap on a quick coat of paint.
Dontrusthise30
I <3 E30's

Postby Dontrusthise30 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 am

Stripping the clear? Is that zinno? My zinno is a single stage and all I do is buff the crap out of it and it comes right back to life! Mines an 88 though, so they may have added clear or that year perhaps?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu May 24, 2012 12:47 am

I'm not sure if the car has been repainted before. If it was, they did a good job to hide traces of it. I Didn't bother to check what kind of red it was. It def has clear coat as there's still some left on the sunroof that is flaking off.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu May 24, 2012 12:54 am

Heated seats have switches on the center console just in front of the ebrake. I think they went to a base/clear in '89 or '90 IIRC. I would really try getting some red turtle wax and a buffer before diving into a respray, it just looks oxidized. Also, the weaves were part of the 'is' package, I have a whole set of 5 laying around from ours.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu May 24, 2012 1:40 am

looking at pictures, I see no heated seat buttons. DAMN!

will def try turtle wax sir.
ss45466
I <3 E30's

Postby ss45466 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:12 am

Awesome score man! My 89 zinno has both single stage and base/clear paint in different areas lol :D
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:51 am

Very nice! Man do I ever wish it was that easy to find cheap IS's up here that are in that good of shape.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:56 pm

3 clutch diff in. I stared at the old CSB and replaced it regardless that it looked fine. The vibration I felt is def less but I have a feeling the subframe bushings are dead. The car def dips more when you turn right than left.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Well took the drive shaft back out. I think it's unbalanced or has a bad U joint. Luckily I have another drive shaft to put in. Got a brand new guibo and CSB for it so this should be the last time I do that. I pull the subrame out, breaking one of the mounts into the chassis (250k of metal on metal seizing). Then I realize the bushings look fine. I mean the rubber is old and shitty but no cracks of any kind. Bah! So I'm off to the hardware store soon to find bolt that will thread into the subframe so I can smash it out from the top. At least this should be the last of it.

on top of that, discounttire.com is a pile of ASS. I emailed them 3 weeks ago and got no response. I called 2 weeks ago and said I'd have an email with my updated processing status. I never got one. last week I called and asked again. The guy was like "oh yea, we don't have those rims in stock. You were supposed to get a refund". I asked him if he had any other rims with the same size/offset in stock and he told me he'd call me back in 30 min with a list. No response... so the next day I call back to just get the 6 tires and I get told that they already started the refund process. I got an email 2 days ago stating I'll have a refund in 3-4 business days. WTF!

Anywho, I'm getting some rims through alex a local friend's shop and hopefully tires too. Much cheaper and someone I'd much rather give my money to >_<
Court M3
I <3 E30's

Postby Court M3 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:17 am

Man how do you keep finding all of these deals? haha
1983 S50 swapped 323i
1988 M3
1997 z3 1.9
2004 X3 2.5
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:51 pm

I hit CL once a week and have friends that don't know squat about cars but let me know when they find deals on E30s. Seriously. This one was from the wife's friend on a private facebook group. She saw it and went "hey, that looks like yoshi's car. Maybe he wants another". Then I bought it lol.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Finally got rims and tires figured out. Ironically, these rims were in my hands a few months back on another red E30 I owned. Direzza star specs up front and kumho ecsta ASTs out back. Should get the job done. Driveshaft doesn't wobble anymore but it does rub on the top of the gas tank saddle due to the 12mm raised subframe. Gonna get some washers and space the diff down a bit. Should fix the problem. Nate fixed his by spacing his trans down. Kinda doesn't make sense to me since the drive shaft is a 2 piece. Ah well.

Current mods list:
solid subframe/diff bushings
rims/tires
3 clutch 3.73 lsd

Gonna put on tie rod spacers soon

Check out this credit card fitment!
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:49 am

I lawled at the credit card fitment.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread

Return to “Builds”