Mei: Erica's E30.

Post a build of your car or project HERE
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Mei: Erica's E30.

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:05 pm

They won't go away for a long time, but they're moving out of super cheap territory. They've started to look "classic" instead of just old.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:08 pm

I fell in love with my 325is when I first saw it. I literally stood there and waited until the guy showed up just so no one else would take it >.> I really love how these cars look stock and with some modifications : )
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:15 pm

nerd.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:28 pm

It's not Erica's anymore.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:22 pm

So happy yet so sad.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:36 am

Holy crap, it's hard to believe I've owned this for a solid 4 months and haven't posted anything about it!

To sum up what I've replaced/installed so far:
- Hik Fabrications heavy duty skid plate, which noticeably stiffened the front end and provides invaluable protection for the oil pan
- Alexander Fabrications front & rear bash bars for drift/track use so I don't have to worry about sourcing new bumpers whenever I hit something.
- all the fuel soft lines coming off the fuel tank, because I blew one of the stock 24 year old ones while driving to work.
- one of the injectors crapped out, and caused a no-fuel situation because it shorted the other injectors out. It's a bit difficult to unplug them with the stock wiring harness holder in use to test for failures.
- bought 15x8.5 Ruff Racing R358 wheels with +17 offset, and mounted my new-but-ordered-a-long-time-ago 225/45/15 Hankook RS3s. The fenders need rolling to not chop into the tires at the current ride height, which is max low for the rear coil adjusters and most of the way down up front.

I've put maybe 380 miles on it since I bought it, or 2 tanks of fuel. The 3.73 diff combined with the ZF transmission results in an incredibly peppy car... that tops out at around 107MPH. It needs the 3.25 I have from my burgundrot sedan, which I still have and really need to sell.

Today, I painted the bash bars that were fabbed, oh, back in June?

Things left to do (in no particular order):
- Install my VDO coolant temperature gauge and remove the Sunpro one Yoshi installed so I don't have to worry about accidentally breaking its conductive copper line into the cylinder head.
- Order and install new odometer gears from Garagistic, along with the gauge cluster rings I got at my first E30 meet back in 200..9?
- Disassemble the cluster and send the SI board off to be repaired
- Find my stock replacement side markers I kept around from a past parts car, or order new ones, as the stock units fell apart when I removed them. Also: order new rubber grommets for the bulb holders for the side markers
- Order either a replacement turn signal lens or get Depo smoked turn signals (they're the same price, WTF)
- Determine why the wipers stopped working, and fix them
- Find the battery drain, and stop it
- Get a new key, or two, cut
- Align the car to get rid of the hellafrush -4.7 camber up front
- Replace the rear trailing arm bushings, which are probably stock
- Order and install stainless steel brake lines. The brakes feel better, but are still shit. The car probably needs a big brake kit as it sits, because it cannot stop nearly as well as it can go. My Fiesta ST has similarly sized brakes, but stops far, far better than the E30 does, which unnerves me.
- Order oil cooler sandwich plate from Guten Parts, a 186F thermostat (Derale?), and an oil cooler kit from somewhere to help keep oil temps regulated
- Reseal the 3.73 rear diff, as it's weeping from the rear cover
- Determine if my 3.25 rear is rebuildable, and get it done with a MZ3 rear cover if so
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:21 am

interested to see those bars mounted up.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Yea I want pix of bar mounted up.

IIRC subframe rising solid subframe bushings are in but def factory rtabs. lol. Oh how lazy I was.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

The wiper switch got the contacts cleaned up and was re-assembled, so it works... for now. The early model wiper switch connector differs from the late model for reasons that only BMW knows. I did get a new factory key cut, and I swapped over the Hella H4 conversion housings in place of the stock sealed beams on the low beam side. I also parted out a car to get the Sparco seat brackets and sliders; I have a Sparco Evo and an Evo 2 US waiting to be installed at some point.

I injured my back at the end of August, so I've made zero progress on anything since then. Medical bills will keep me from any events until June, at least. I've only put 8 tanks of fuel in the car since I've owned it, which is hilariously low. I probably don't update on this car much since I only drive it at events... for now.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Diff needs to get done asap sir.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Things left to figure out before the next event:
- Install the Sparcos. Use stock seatbelts since I am not installing a roll bar in this car to use 5 point belts, and harness bars don't pass track tech for SCCA or NASA
- Pull the airbag steering wheel for the M Tech 1 I have sitting around so I don't feel like I am driving a school bus
- Check the fluid level in the 3.25 diff I picked up, replace the speed sensor mounting bolts, and install it in the car
- Raise the front and the rear by 1cm, then get it aligned up front, for the alignment is horrid and I can't align it myself given my current condition
- One of the turn signals randomly is getting disconnected up front; need to determine why, and fix it

Things I should attend to:
- The brake feel on this car is still absolutely terrible. Of all the vehicles I've owned, this is the second least confidence inspiring, after my AE86. Install the pile of new parts and get it figured out
- Install the VDO coolant temp gauge to replace the Sunpro. I have no idea where it would be best to tap gauge power from
- Get a http://www.gutenparts.com/24v-oil-baffl ... r-e30.html and install this in my non-modified oil pan before installing it
- Also order http://www.gutenparts.com/economotorspo ... 0-s5x.html so I can easily install an oil temp gauge and determine if an oil cooler is really necessary
- Order http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=321623 and a set of Morimoto Mini H1 V7 HIDs in the future to replace the Hella E-codes
- Get the M Tech 1 steering wheel re-wrapped as it would be cheaper than getting a Nardi & hub adapter, plus it's probably safer. Also order the M tricolor trim and the roundel for the wheel to finish it off
- Get SI board refurbished (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=335264)
- Replace the rear trailing arm bushings
- Order new side marker lenses as well as front turn signal lenses, and get some tail light gaskets, too. All of them are dead and I have a water leak in the trunk due to the gasket failure for the tail lights
- Order a Z3M diff cover and stock iS front lip before they become NLA
- Remove the faded window tint that makes rear vision a blurry joke

The car is buried in my garage as I am packing for my eventual move. It's hard to believe I have 2 weeks to pack in between all the traveling going on in the next month and a half :(
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 am

Turn signal is likely crappy contacts to the light bulb itself. Pull the unit, pull off the plug from the unit, clean the contacts, bend them forward some, and shove back in. Problem solved.

Heh, I never touched the brakes on that thing. I bet just fresh fluid will do a lot. I have spare rear pads if you'd like. I barely used them. I sell to you cheap son.

Gauge tapping I'd do from a secondary fuse panel right off the main power. I don't like parasiting off stuff. You can use the center console lights for the dimmer tho.

You don't need a baffle. I've never heard of anyone oil starving on track with M50s. You're more likely to break off that oil pump nut than you are to oil starve.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Probably need bumpers before you can do anything with side marker lights.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:55 am

Those are track bash bars. He puts the regular bumpers back on for street driving. It's to avoid breaking body panels and absorb minor impacts. But I'm guessing you're being funny.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:26 pm

wait, he swaps the bumper on and off for track events? If he actually hits something hard enough to need a bash bar I would think it would still do damage to the unibody where the bars attach since there are no impact shocks on them, and from the looks of the bars the corners will likely fold into the body with any impact. Also, I am hilarious.
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Builds”