Mei: Erica's E30.

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Re: Mei: Erica's E30.

Postby Yoshi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:33 pm

Gotta remember that this is drifting. Impacts won't be from the front. The corners will bend in on low impact and not effect the unibody. Any more than a light tap will most definitely result in body contact but at that point, you're still doing minimal damage to the car in comparison and you still have a good front bumper. The rear is also designed with a jack point for quick rear tire changes as the diff is kinda harder to get to.

With that said, it isn't my style as it's borderline useful to me. BUT, as late model body panels are getting harder to come by, just for that savings alone, it could very well be worth it. I have after market stuff so it makes no diff to me.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:13 am

pr0craztinazn wrote:Things left to figure out before the next event:
- Install the Sparcos. Use stock seatbelts since I am not installing a roll bar in this car to use 5 point belts, and harness bars don't pass track tech for SCCA or NASA
- Pull the airbag steering wheel for the M Tech 1 I have sitting around so I don't feel like I am driving a school bus
- Check the fluid level in the 3.25 diff I picked up, replace the speed sensor mounting bolts, and install it in the car
- Raise the front and the rear by 1cm, then get it aligned up front, for the alignment is horrid and I can't align it myself given my current condition
- One of the turn signals randomly is getting disconnected up front; need to determine why, and fix it

Things I should attend to:
- The brake feel on this car is still absolutely terrible. Of all the vehicles I've owned, this is the second least confidence inspiring, after my AE86. Install the pile of new parts and get it figured out
- Install the VDO coolant temp gauge to replace the Sunpro. I have no idea where it would be best to tap gauge power from
- Get a http://www.gutenparts.com/24v-oil-baffl ... r-e30.html and install this in my non-modified oil pan before installing it
- Also order http://www.gutenparts.com/economotorspo ... 0-s5x.html so I can easily install an oil temp gauge and determine if an oil cooler is really necessary
- Order http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=321623 and a set of Morimoto Mini H1 V7 HIDs in the future to replace the Hella E-codes
- Get the M Tech 1 steering wheel re-wrapped as it would be cheaper than getting a Nardi & hub adapter, plus it's probably safer. Also order the M tricolor trim and the roundel for the wheel to finish it off
- Get SI board refurbished (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=335264)
- Replace the rear trailing arm bushings
- Order new side marker lenses as well as front turn signal lenses, and get some tail light gaskets, too. All of them are dead and I have a water leak in the trunk due to the gasket failure for the tail lights
- Order a Z3M diff cover and stock iS front lip before they become NLA
- Remove the faded window tint that makes rear vision a blurry joke

The car is buried in my garage as I am packing for my eventual move. It's hard to believe I have 2 weeks to pack in between all the traveling going on in the next month and a half :(

A lot has happened since this post.

I asked Yoshi to:
- replace rear trailing arm bushings
- install my 3.25 LSD that was rebuilt with 4 clutches and new bearings by Thayer Motorsports
- replaced all brake and clutch soft lines with Techna fit stainless steel braided lines. One of the rear brake hard lines will need to be replaced if the soft line ever needs to come off at the chassis side
- replace brake rotors and pads all the way around (which ended up with replacing the front driver's side caliper with one of my spares due to a frozen slider)
- install new lower control arms
- replaced a rear axle with one of my spares

The car should feel a lot more solid and dependable with these parts installed. I did order an ultra steering angle kit from SLR (Sean Love Racing), which boosts front track width by 6+ inches total thanks to longer control arms, and reduces Ackerman, but quickens my steering to about 3.1 turns lock to lock. The big problem is that it will not arrive before my next drift event.

Still on the list:
- install the Mtech 1 wheel I bought back from my old sedan
- pull the front bumper to wrap the turn signal connector with electrical tape, as the locking tab sheared off and allowed it to back out of the turn signal socket
- install the Sparco Evo seat for the driver's side
- determine what parts are needed to install an AKG stage 2 motorsports shifter and what length DSSR I need to order so I can reduce shifter slop and bring it closer to me
- get car re-tinted

Done:
- Raised the car
- Received Depo smoked side markers
- Got Squared Motorworks HID adapters installed in the Depo smilies I have

Longer term to-do:
- Get an oil pan baffle installed in my spare E34 pan
- Install said pan
- Purchase and install the Economotorsports Oil Cooler plate
- Purchase and install oil cooler components with a Setrab cooler
- Reinstall air conditioning if I don't crash it during the drift season
- Get car painted if I don't crash it during the drift season

I thought I'd owned this car for two years, but apparently I've had it for three. Where does the time go?

Edited post to correct the caliper that was replaced.
Last edited by pr0craztinazn on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:36 am

To add: replaced front driver's caliper. That's likely your braking issue. That and the old brake bits. But 1 out of 4 calipers not caliping sounds bad.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:05 pm

You running all stock brakes? 3.1 L2L sounds awesome, the stock ratio is so bad, I think thats one of the biggest weaknesses on this chassis.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Still stock breaks but the E21 booster IIRC. The L2L doesn't really matter for drifting IMO. at least as much. But I can see its use for road racing.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:21 am

Yes, the car is still running stock brake calipers all the way around. I'm thinking at some point, I'll install Wilwoods to drop weight and get more pad on a somewhat larger rotor. The car now has StopTech Street Performance pads installed with Pentosin DOT4 brake fluid.

Pic Yoshi took of the rebuilt 3.25 diff internals. I'll have more pics soonish.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Well this thread is going to need an update soon.

Return to “Builds”