s50 swap

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Terry
E30 Guy
AntiSpam: No

s50 swap

Postby Terry » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:21 am

So i bought this s50 from a junkyard in Ohio... $1000 shipped. (WBSBF0321SEN90924)
It had 100k (?) miles, so I thought the deal was pretty good. The caveat was that it was "mishandled" in the warehouse: there is a hole in the valve cover, a hole in the oil pan. The fan was also pretty mangled, and I checked to see that it was a front-end collision.
I just ran out to the garage to double-check the vin as some hoser on the innernet was claiming they didn't make auto m3s in '95... he was wrong.
It looks like a piece of shit, and since I'm pretty much a noob, there is some worry... so I have to get this thing in asap before my junkyard warranty runs out.

My wife doesn't know about this, and it's sitting behind a piece of Ikea kitchen trim in the garage. My plan is to get the m20 out without giving her time to identify it, schlep it off to somebody else's garage, and then put the s50 in the stand and tell her these hours are being spent on a major tune-up. I love my wife, but somethings go better unsaid, or rather hidden. It's not like I'm hitting the meth pipe and/or hitting her or anything like that.

So far, between a week of nap times, I've managed to take off the exhaust, driveshaft and diff, and radiator. Not bad by my own estimate. I enjoy this time spent anyway. Hope to have the engine out by Friday but may depend on if I can recruit a pal to lift the car while I tug at the engine from underneath.
Attachments
P1060320.resized.JPG
P1060320.resized.JPG (118.88 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
P1060319.resized.JPG
P1060319.resized.JPG (109.23 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
P1060318.resized.JPG
P1060318.resized.JPG (110.48 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
Terry
E30 Guy

Re: s50 swap

Postby Terry » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 am

-grin- The hiding place... ewww I'm so bad.
I had the trucker drop this off at the salon equip store in the back of the alley. Guy gets there with no lift gate, which is what you should expect for "free" shipping. So, the salon guy grabbed some 2 pcs of wood, we slid the pallet down on the 2x4 ramps, and used a trash can dolly to wheel it through the alley to the garage.
Attachments
P1060317.resized.JPG
P1060317.resized.JPG (129.08 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 am

So glad my Wife supports mt e30 addiction, lol. So your sending that engine back for a free replacement? Best get the VIN of the replacement to make sure you don't get any other "mishandled" engines. Does your wife ride in your e30 at all? Because you don't have to be a gear head to know the difference between a stock m20 and a stock s50 under the hood. ;) oh, and how even long you expect it to take, double it, and goes the same for budget.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:35 pm

lmk if you need any parts! I have a few bits lying around. luls at hiding it from the wife. If I had a garage, I'm pretty sure I could hide a motor too.
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:05 pm

I will be putting this engine in. The holes in the oil pan and valve cover don't worry me. Truly just looks like superficial, even though pretty ugly, damage that happened in the warehouse. The front-end accident though.... now that I think about it, something like that could bend/tweak the crank or the cam right? Hopefully it was just the radiator getting smashed against the fan. At any rate, I just need to get the engine in to test it before the warranty runs out. I think I have 1-1/2 months left.
Up in the air about getting a new clutch fan... I don't use one on the m20, and seemed to cool fine.
Not sure about money. I have a google spreadsheet that I can link up here. You can edit it if you want to add something.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap0I07_hkEoodExjS01kdzViNnRkSVBINVAtSHk3RWc#gid=0
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:29 pm

man keeping a spread sheet is going to make you very sad...

The S50 oil pan has to go anyway. you need the E34 oil pan to fit it into an E30 (front sump vs rear sump). So that shouldn't make a difference. You would need to swap over to the clutch fan so the destroyed S50 one has no bearing on anything. I would be worried about bending the crank but I think your odds are pretty low. Cams shouldn't bend as the whole motor is protecting it. Rotate the engine around and make sure it freely spins. Not too much since you probably have no oil in it. like 5 revolutions by hand at a slow pace would do good.

Can always fill it with oil and put a starter on it to do a comp check.

How are you doing with the 24v swap parts?
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:03 pm

If it's in good shape, a $1k S50 seems like a pretty good deal to me. Lulz at hiding it from the wifey. That's one of the few times not having any sort of significant other can be rather beneficial. Good luck on the swap, can't wait to see some 24v burnout videos! ;)
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:25 pm

worst case scenario he does a wife swap?
Court M3
I <3 E30's

Postby Court M3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Dang $1k for a damaged engine? GL with keeping it hidden! Will be funny to hear they wife say, "Wow it runs so much better now!" huh?
1983 S50 swapped 323i
1988 M3
1997 z3 1.9
2004 X3 2.5
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:58 am

Still out of sight so far...
Also out of sight... a ruger I bought in light of recent random robberies in the St. Louis and to protect against the alley ghouls (this place if f'n dangerous!, or apparently anyway...)
And my father-in-law's underwear (that he left from a visit) that I am now using for a rag. I thought it would be better this way than actually trying to wear it.

I just want to state that even though I keep some things separate from my wife, she is really a cool lady. I will post her pic once I can get a pic of her reaction to the "new" engine.

Engine mounts need to be unfastened and I'm ready to pull the engine. I've never pulled an engine, so anything that is left out of the manual, please advise. I asked my brother to come over some time this week to help, but can I actually do this myself? I have the crane and a stabilzier bar.
Last edited by Terry on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:05 am

Terry wrote:I just want to state that even though I keep some things separate from my wife, she is really a cool lady. I will post her pic.

In for pics ;)

Terry wrote:Engine mounts need to be unfastened and I'm ready to pull the engine. I've never pulled an engine, so anything that is left out of the manual, please advise. I asked my brother to come over some time this week to help, but can I actually do this myself? I have the crane and a stabilzier bar.

You most likely can do it yourself, but having another set of eyes is always a very good thing, espicially in the case of an accident. Can't remember, are you pulling the engine/trans as one, or did you seperate the trans already?

Oh, and don't forget the clutch slave cylinder line (if pulling the engine/trans as one). I left it attached thinking I would take it off once we got the whole shebang out for a bit for easier acess, and forgot until I was yanking on the engine wondering why it wouldn't budge, twice.
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:17 am

I'm doing the engine and transmission as one, just because I've heard it's easier.
Actually, I didn't look too much into detaching the transmission. Is it really such a pita?

"Oh, and don't forget the clutch slave cylinder line"
Thanks. I didn't detach that yet. First thing tomorrow I'll do a good double-check when I have some daylight to work with.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:02 am

Removing the trans while it's in the car is definitely much more of a pain. Mainly just because getting at the top 2 trans>engine bolts is all but impossible.

However leaving it attached makes getting the whole ordeal out of the engine bay a bit more complicated, just with the angle you need to get the trans to clear. I left the shift linkage and everything attached too, so that takes some guidance to get out of the car, having 2 people definitely helped that part.

Just be careful, M20+G260 combo is well over 400lbs if I remember correctly, so be sure to keep that in mind.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:40 am

I'm sorry... WHY is there a picture of your father in law's underwear??!?

Pulling the trans with the engine is a great idea. Just make sure the slave cylinder is pulled from the trans (not the line) and the drive shaft is fully disconnected.

Tilt the engine back and if you need more space, jack the rear of the car up. If you need MORE space, lower the front of the car. Just go really slow and make sure nothing snags. If you hit ANY resistance, stop and find out what it is. You will regret it otherwise. There's a spot near the starter where you can grab on to I believe. Or, I sometimes use a strap around the last 3 runners of the intake manifold but that scares me as it's aluminum. there's a clip where the front rad hose connects to in order to stay out of the clutch can. Looks like an A that sticks up front the front of the valve cover. Anyway, use that as your front attachment point. Headers don't have to come off, just the down pipe back.
ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Is that a lc9?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
1986 325es
1995 525i

Return to “Builds”