s50 swap

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: s50 swap

Postby Nsquared97 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:52 am

Valve cover looks nice. What exactly is welded on the subframe? Just fully welded for more strength? The section you posted doesn't look like it would take long at all for a competent welder.
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:39 am

Nsquared97 wrote: What exactly is welded on the subframe?

I bought these and the site has good install photos: http://www.akgmotorsport.com/gallery/?level=album&id=11
I paid 20 for the reinforcement plates, and 250 for the subframe and the welding. I have to check if there is a core charge. I have been pretty busy with work and other stuff, so I haven't been too diligent on watching my budget. Then again, when I'm not learning how to weld, I'm working the job I'm good at.
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:41 am

Still hoping for some feedback on what to plug the hole where the oil level sender was on the e34 pan...
Another oil level sender?? duh. Seriously, what goes there. I bought it third-hand and couldn't really get a clear answer on what to put in that spot.
Also, putting on the oil pan today, I want to be dead sure about what I need to break off.
Is it that tab with two screws holding the far end (nearest in the pic) of the oil pick-up?
P1060535.JPG
P1060535.JPG (73.97 KiB) Viewed 3091 times

And then I imagine I mount the much shorter e34 pick-up to the side nearest the front end of the motor, right?
I read some conflicting things about the windage tray... I've read pull the e36 windage tray and just rely on the one that comes with your e34 oil pan. It doesn't look like the e34 pan I have has anything similar looking to the windage tray on the s50.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:17 pm

I've never used the windage tray unless it was from an E34. But I guess you can just cut off that nub if it gets in the way. If you can keep it, you should.

Plug u the hole with the sensor or cut up some metal to bolt there. *shrugs*
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:19 am

Just now reviving this project... I had to send it up to a shop because otherwise I am never going to get this done... 2nd baby is on the way, old house needs lots of work, and I have to work to make money to pay for all this shit...
Anyway, just would like an opinon on clutch usage for this project with using the getrag 260. The sachs oem clutch worked ok, but not sure of mileage and it seemed pretty soft when I was driving it...
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:21 am

So almost a year later, and I finally got my car back from the shop about a month ago.
A lot was done to it, so I don't know where to start, other than to say that there were a lot of unexpected expenses, and then some that I just added because I wanted to do it "right".
I indulged and had a resprayed hood and plastic bumpers put on, probably not wise, but it looks good and if anything the lighter bumpers make me faster :)
The big unexpected was having a bad head gasket, but had them send it off to machine the head. Other unexpected's: the 19lb injectors I supplied were bad, the 413 dme was bad, the S52 headers I supplied had cracks in them, and a time-sert was needed on one plug hole. So, my due diligence sucked on a lot of things here, and now I'm not sure if I'll ever get a refund on this stuff from the various internet world sellers. An obvious point, but probably one that should be given more attention by all.
I got a skid plate put on there supplied by red46, following the suggestions of the guys here:
IMG_20140923_170109.jpg
IMG_20140923_170109.jpg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 2780 times

That has come in handy already.
When all is said and done, I think I spent about 12,000 on everything.
A couple of invoices that don't include the engine:
TerryS50#1invoice.jpeg
TerryS50#1invoice.jpeg (138.35 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
Last edited by Terry on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:30 am

TerryS50#2invoice.jpeg
TerryS50#2invoice.jpeg (134.88 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:41 am

bmwdriveway.jpg
bmwdriveway.jpg (108.67 KiB) Viewed 2780 times

bmw driveway2.jpg
bmw driveway2.jpg (134.98 KiB) Viewed 2780 times

engine bay.jpg
engine bay.jpg (126.16 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:28 pm

paint looks great man! Need to button down that washer bottle though. lol

Yea... there's always something wrong. All of the injectors were bad? That doesn't make sense. No project goes smoothly. Ever. EVER. Take your budget and double it IMO.

How's it feel?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:52 pm

$12k?? Does that include what you spent on the parts you brought them? Car looks great, aside from needing a good cleaning in the engine bay.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Terry
E30 Guy

Postby Terry » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Nah, 12 is about for everything including the engine. I thought I had a great deal on that 800 dollar S50!
I put the invoices in here so maybe someone might look at them to get an idea of things to look at. I actually think the shop gave me a decent price on a lot of the used parts, and freed me up from making sure they were in good working order.
They also did some nice work fabbing up the shifter.

The 3.45 diff was a little hard to come by, until I thought of the e21 forums, and then just traded my 3.73 for it. It's buzzy above 50, but I like the way it responds. I had a z3 rack put in a couple months before this, and took out the power steering and ac. It's about where I want it right now (except for the intermittent acceleration bogging viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2258)

Good eye on the missing bottle fastener! I'm also missing my battery tie-down that must be somewhere up in their shop.
I never thought about the engine bay... I won't do it, but maybe I'll get an xmas gift certificate for that.

Bottom line, the car feels great (when not boggin). Now, just to take care of the bogging acceleration, then maybe get my gauges working, and address all the warning lights on the check panel (coolant sometimes, rear lights (leds), engine oil) and the cluster (check engine, abs, brake lining). Iirc, the check engine goes away if you don't have any check panel lights, correct?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:18 am

CEL is not all that related to the overhead check panel. If the CEL comes on there is a fault detected somewhere, the overhead check panel mostly tells you about burn bulbs and low fluids. There is the 'CHECK' light in the center of the dash, which is just there to tell you to look at the overhead check panel, but thats not a CEL, and can be canceled at any time by pressing the reset button on the overhead check panel.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:44 am

Yea what Tony said. The check panel is just for things like fluid level and what not. CEL is independent. Though, hopefully the CEL is hooked up. One of the things I like about OBD2 is reading all that on the fly.

Fabbed shifter? What did they fab? I'll look over the receipts you have but I'm not a good judge of how much it should cost to do things. I do them all myself lol.

Return to “Builds”