Dexter Stage 6: No more motors!

Post a build of your car or project HERE
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Dexter Stage 6: No more motors!

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm hoping this fixes your issues. It's very possible that Mei's inconsistent brake feel has the same possible root cause: ABS pump problems.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:16 pm

I did read a few spec E30 guys replacing that rear prop valve because it got clogged or something. So that might be the issue too. I really don't get why the ABS pump would cause a problem but I don't get the prop valve doing that either. The brake fluid being dark despite only being in the car for a year is concerning. Looked like weak tea. Basically, replace parts until it works damnit. The only thing not replaced are the hard lines at this point.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Curious to know how that setup will feel. I would get some kind go loom or wire shielding for the coil wire if it's rubbing on the master. Maybe a stupid question, but it looks like you're building what can already easily be done with an ELM327 bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro app on your phone. What functionality will this add? I use Torque on my truck and it will give real time data on custom dashboards (up to 8 per vehicle), can use custom PID sets, and data log just about anything you want including GPS.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:36 pm

All my coil wires already have those stupid autozone sheathes on them. I made sure to bend the shield in such a way that it isn't going to be TOO bad. But I'll have to keep an eye on it. The brake plunger wasn't long enough so I didn't manage to finish the brake job. Hopefully I can get to it this upcoming weekend.

You're mostly right Tony. The chip in the OBD2 plug I have is also an ELM327. There's a bunch of reasons I'm doing it this way:
The bluetooth dongle adds latency so real time data isn't as up to date (not that I care THAT much) but it helps cuz my tach doesn't work.
Torque requires my phone or other android device to be synced and it's just annoying and time consuming. This is just plug in and it's already working. No killing phone battery or anything. I have my OBD2 port wired to a switch so I just hit a button and it's 100% on and logging.
Allows for stealth install
The big one though - I'm making this take in external IO that OBD2 doesn't allow for. I want multiple accelerometers to judge slip angle. clutch/brake/ebrake logging. Or anything else I can think of (steering wheel input?)
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:03 am

Interesting idea, though it seems a bit of overkill. You can get wireless accelerometers now, and they make complete race car data acquisition systems that do what you want and a lot more. I guess it's a fin project, if you have time for another project....
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:23 am

Find me a data acquisition system under what I'm paying for this ($150 so far) that can do all of this. I code for a living, so most of this is just fun.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Definitely won't find anything under $1k that is a complete legit data acquisition system. Even coding it yourself you'll need to drop some coin on good sensors with high Hz to get good readings.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 pm

The direct plug in to the OBD2 port has given me ~50hz. I'm limited more to the OBD2 protocol than anything else. So that would be a problem regardless of what I plugged into the OBD2 port (reasons not to use blue tooth).

Sensors are cheap. I'm looking into chevy or honda switches for brake/clutch sensing. I'd like an analog input but I'd be welding gears/cogs to the pedal bits and I want to get farther along for those. But a good rheostat to read pedal rotation is $3 per. I'm hoping I can just parasite the reading off the E46 steering wheel sensor when I move to that chassis. It's like $40 for that sensor itself (which is meh...). But the rest are like $5 per sensor. I'm VERY confident I can log everything I want for <$200.

The only ONLY thing that might be an issue is noise from my external IO setup. But I feel like I did enough research and have made things relatively foolproof. I might need to add shielding around the transfer wires but it's only 3 wires. Not a big deal.

In all honesty, I've been making this with the intent of maybe making some and selling them to others. Technically, I could make a version 100% without the OBD2 plug. I'd just need a voltage regulator and another accelerometer to make up for the lack in the OBD2 plug.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:57 pm

I'll be interested to see what kind of output data you get from that kind of setup. Build thread?
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:08 pm

I've been keeping tabs on it on my blog. I'm not sure it's worth a post itself http://yoshi.e30drifter.com/2016/12/21/drift-box/
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:58 pm

M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:58 pm

Saw that on FB, pretty cool man. That would be an awesome logging feature for a boosted car. Put me on your PoC list.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:19 pm

I mean, if your OBD2 port already logs boost, I can set it up for you and what not now.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:45 pm

It does, and I could run logs on both Torque and your device and send you the comparative results.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Send me a copy of a log from the app and I'll make my software convert it. I do have a copy of torque but I ain't got time to find my bluetooth stuff and hook all of it up.

Return to “Builds”