Dexter Stage 6: No more motors!

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Dexter Stage 6: No more motors!

Postby Yoshi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 pm

So I'll spill all the beans I can concisely. I'll start with my motivations. Turbo motors seem to be temperamental. I'm tired of fab work and high strung builds. I want something that is close to stock form but puts out the power that is beyond what I will ever need. I want easy to maintain and as cheap as possible as well. I'm very sure no such thing exists so I'm going to get as close as I can.

A local shop approached me about a kit they are making to put LS motors into E30 and E36 chassis. Normally, I wouldn't fathom an LS swap due to the fab work I mentioned above. But this kit is made to be installed and as complete as can be. I'm getting a great deal on this kit. Doing quick math, I realized the LS1 in my basement would take too much manual effort than was worth it to me $$ wise.

I'm yanking the NA S52 out of the car now to eventually put it into the red car. Dunno when. I'm then taking the car to this shop to have them install a drop out LS2. Selling my truck/trailer/turbo/FI motor, I should be able to afford this with minimal extra costs. When they are done, the motor will be physically in the car with the kit fully installed. At that point, I may pay them to finish the car or take it back to finish myself. I have yet to decide.

Basically, in a few months, I'll have a BMW 360. Sounds nice. lol.

ok, flame me now. -on fire-
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Dexter Stage 6: No more motors!

Postby M20_fever » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 am

No flaming from me, sounds like the best plan youve had for this car so far. What does the kit include? drive shaft? Are you getting a t56 with it? How much is the whole swap going to cost you?
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:28 am

I'm expecting the motor to cost $7k. Comes with harness/ecu/trans. The kit should run $1500 with my discount. I figure another $1k in misc nick nacks.

Kit comes with drive shaft, mounting hardware, hydro boost, clutch lines, I think that's it. The only other things I'll probably need are things like fuel lines, rad hoses, and ish like that.
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 am

Sounds cool to me. I'm usually not a fan of non BMW motors being put in these cars, but what the hell. It sounds like you're gonna have a pretty much new car. That's something I've always wanted to do (and want to do still one day). I always figured you could spend $10,000 on a used car that would be pretty reliable for a long time, but be boring. OR you could put $10,000 into an e30 and end up with a pretty much brand new fast as shit car.

Keep us updated.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:08 am

For that price I hope your getting a warranty on the engine, you can get an LS2 with a warranty for 5k. You could get a used LS1 and some go fast upgrades for less than that. Shit, if you go to pick n' pull on labor day or memorial day you can get a complete LS1 w/trans and accessories for under $300. Put another 2k in refreshing it and a few bolt on upgrades and your putting down 400hp/tq reliably for under 3k.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:22 am

Find me an LS2 in a junk yard. I've never seen one. I've seen cars where they SHOULD be in but they are always yanked by the time they get there. This will be a full drop out LS2. I will not need to fumble with any more parts. Clutch/trans/everything. Seriously, if you can find all that for sub $3k for even an LS1, yank em and sell em for $4k and make a killing. From what I've found, a full LS1 with trans goes for $5k for what I'm getting with the LS2. It's only $2k more for the extra 50-75whp and 0.3 more liters.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:29 pm

There are LS1s at the pnp by me all the time. Even at regular pricing I can get the whole engine/trans/ecu/accessories for under $500. 1k in refresh parts, and 1k in bolt on upgrades and got that extra 50whp. You can get an LS2 from a recycler with a warranty for $5k with everyrhing but the trans. I guess your paying a premium since they are doing most of the work, but I think your going to end up doing more 'misc' stuff to finish the install than you think.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:25 pm

What would I be missing in finishing work? $1k for the rest sounds about right to me.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm

cost wise your probably close, I was talking about your time/labor.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

inb4 "IMISSBOOSTNEADZMOARPOWAR!" (ie "not broken enuff") :P

Tony - do you have any experience using motors from PnP places? I never see LS1s, but M5x (including e34 M50s) are always just sitting around at my local yard. I'm always interested, but apprehensive about pulling a dud. Any tips on sorting out the good from the bad? You can PM me if you want, I don't want to clutter up Yoshi's thread (even though it'll probably be 65+ pages before Dexter Stage 6.5 XD).
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:55 pm

baby, my time is free!
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:03 pm

If your time is free why are you paying someone else to do the swap for you? ;-)

I have not personally used a pnp engine, but I know a few people who have. Best bet is to find a car with severe rear end collision damage since chances are it was running when it was totalled. You can rotste the engine by hand, pulk the valve cover, etc. to get a good idea of the condition. I would plan on refreshing it before using it anyway though.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:24 pm

M20_fever wrote:I have not personally used a pnp engine, but I know a few people who have. Best bet is to find a car with severe rear end collision damage since chances are it was running when it was totalled. You can rotste the engine by hand, pulk the valve cover, etc. to get a good idea of the condition. I would plan on refreshing it before using it anyway though.

Oh absolutely - a swap is (hopefully) a long way off, anyways. I'd like to beat up on the m20 first. I figure rotating the engine, pulling the valve cover, checking spark plugs, looking in coolant hoses/reservoirs for signs of debris or chocolate milk is a good start. Even removing the head might not be out of the question - it would let you check the cylinders, facilitate engine removal, and I believe the local PNP charges for the accessories, so the less stuff on the motor that would normally be replaced, the better.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:36 am

M20_fever wrote:If your time is free why are you paying someone else to do the swap for you? ;-)

Because the labor on it is free and I get half price on materials.
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:56 am

Yoshi wrote:
M20_fever wrote:If your time is free why are you paying someone else to do the swap for you? ;-)

Because the labor on it is free and I get half price on materials.

Can't argue with that.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread

Return to “Builds”