Blasphemy101's E30 Build Thread

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Re: Blasphemy101's E30 Build Thread

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 pm

If you look on the inside of the exhaust housing where it meets the manifold, you can see some indented lettering. That should be the number of the exhaust housing size. The one on the left looks more like a 14 or 16 than a 12. Your H1C is a known pig but it isn't THAT much of a pig.

Your turbo is probably due for a rebuild but it isn't worth the cost of the rebuild IMO. Regardless, I'm 100% sure that isn't your boost problems.

Likely possibilities in order of likelihood (my opinion):
Wastegate is leaking or opening prematurely
Charge pipe leak
Exhaust leak pre turbo
Shitty/weak wastegate
Restriction somewhere in your charge or exhaust system
Shit spinning turbo
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:28 am

Yoshi wrote:If you look on the inside of the exhaust housing where it meets the manifold, you can see some indented lettering. That should be the number of the exhaust housing size. The one on the left looks more like a 14 or 16 than a 12. Your H1C is a known pig but it isn't THAT much of a pig.

Your turbo is probably due for a rebuild but it isn't worth the cost of the rebuild IMO. Regardless, I'm 100% sure that isn't your boost problems.

I like the H1C for its (supposed) durability at this price point. So if it comes down to it, I may rebuild it. Kits are only $40-60, so I'd take care of it just so it won't grenade itself. I get what you're saying, though; it isn't exactly the best turbo for this motor.

I wasn't convinced it was the source of my spool problems, since my spool up is so consistent (if very late), but I wanted to be sure.

Yoshi wrote:Likely possibilities in order of likelihood (my opinion):
Wastegate is leaking or opening prematurely

Definitely a possibility - I have a cheap wastegate with a light (5 psi) spring. I've been considering driving the car without a wastegate to check. Obviously, I wouldn't be pegging it, but just as a test to see where the car starts building boost. Dangerous?

Yoshi wrote:Charge pipe leak

Like your list suggests, it's a possibility, but not extremely likely this is the cause. I've tested for leaks multiple times - I have a pinhole leak around the throttle body shaft, but pressure is able to build easily and bleeds off very slowly.

Yoshi wrote:Exhaust leak pre turbo

Much lower probabilty - I (unintentionally) lied when I said I haven't removed my turbo since I installed it. I removed it before to check for exhaust leaks to resolve this very issue - turned up nothing. Just for something to do, I sectioned out each runner on the exhaust manifold so they bolt to the head individually - I know it's not ideal for strength, but I was more concerned about exhaust leaks at the time, and I can repair the manifold if needed.

Yoshi wrote:Shitty/weak wastegate

Sort of goes along with #1

Yoshi wrote:Restriction somewhere in your charge or exhaust system

Unlikely - no exhaust leaks showing up, and I've had my exhaust off a couple of times. The only place a restriction could be is in my glass pack. I know they're known to deteriorate, but it isn't that old and it's placed relatively far from the turbo (where the cat usually is).

Yoshi wrote:Shit spinning turbo

Haha care to clarify, or is that what your were discussing at the top of the post?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:39 am

Do not run without a waste gate, but try a heavier spring. I'd bet money its the cheap waste gate.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:56 am

M20_fever wrote:Do not run without a waste gate, but try a heavier spring. I'd bet money its the cheap waste gate.

...makes sense, but if the wastegate is leaking (instead of just opening early), this won't expose the problem.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:09 pm

I've been thinking some more about the waste gate as the source of my lag problems. I'm think it's more and more likely it's the culprit, because when I am in boost (at the high-end of the RPM range), I can definitely hear the turbo spool up.

If the source of the lag was a boost leak, I imagine I'd be able to hear the turbo spooling or the boost leaking out. I know I could when one of my intercooler pipes blew off the first night I got to do some turbo pulls, and I could tell when my BOV needed to be tightened up as well.

My thinking is that if the turbo isn't physically spooling up, anything after it is free from suspicion. In any case, I'll try to come up with something and check it out tomorrow.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 pm

shitty spinning turbo was what you were talking about. yes. A rebuild kit won't do much if the turbo is too far gone.

bovs can also prematurely leak. If your charge pipes are leaking, you won't necessarily hear the turbo spooling more. The only true way to know is with an rpm gauge for your turbo.

This is why I like NA :)
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Yoshi wrote:shitty spinning turbo was what you were talking about. yes. A rebuild kit won't do much if the turbo is too far gone.

It doesn't seem TOO far gone. I mean, I'm no expert, but it certainly seems to still work. I'm just concerned the axial play is getting out of spec.

Yoshi wrote:bovs can also prematurely leak. If your charge pipes are leaking, you won't necessarily hear the turbo spooling more. The only true way to know is with an rpm gauge for your turbo.

Not the BOV - tested that a little while ago.

I've done a couple of leak tests, and my pipes themselves seem to hold fine. The only leak is around the shaft in the throttle body.

I know I might not hear the turbo spooling, but I meant the fact that I CAN hear it spool when I start getting into boost might be an indicator it isn't physically spooling when it should be (meaning the lag isn't caused by a leak). In any case. I found a local source for affordable wastegate springs, so I plan to pick one or two up this weekend.

Yoshi wrote:This is why I like NA :)

I've considered putting the money I made from my E36 into picking up a wrecked E36 M3, but I'm still having fun with the learning experience of the turbo. I'm sure at some point, like you, I'll just want a pretty fast, reliable NA car to get as much seat time as possible in.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Tried two things today:

1) Stiffer wastegate springs - up to 9 psi from a 4 psi spring. I was previously running 9 psi using the 4 psi spring and a manual boost controller, now I'm running 9 psi using only the wastegate springs. No change in spool up.

2) charge pipes leak test - blocked the intercooler pipe off at the turbo with a few plastic bags. My system held pressure up to 7 psi, when the bags burst. Doesn't look like I have any significant boost leaks.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:42 pm

what brand/type of wg do you have? pix?
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:45 pm

wyntonm 44mm. It's a Tial knockoff.

Is it possible a 9 psi spring still isn't strong enough with a 44mm gate?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 pm

You sure you installed the wg right? There's a cock ring that goes in those. I had one of those knock offs for a while. It was such a piece of shit. A real tial changed my spool so much.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:09 pm

lol you mean the fire ring? Yes it's there. I'm going to pull the gate off and inspect it, though. If it's leaking anywhere, I'll find it.

On a happier note, I like that I'm running on spring pressure vs. the boost controller. It helps fight off the temptation to turn up the boost.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:17 pm

yea fire ring lol.

Get me a pic of your WG. If it's the same as mine, I am pretty sure that's what your issue is.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Ah yea. never had one of those.

Return to “Builds”