Blasphemy101's E30 Build Thread

Post a build of your car or project HERE
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Blasphemy101's E30 Build Thread

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:57 am

So I did a compression test... Pardon the sloppy handwriting - I was writing on the side of the engine bay in the dark.

This motor tested 180-185 across the board less than a year ago, so it looks like a pretty catastrophic failure across the board. The nice thing is that I don't seem to be mixing oil/coolant, so I won't have to spend much time cleaning out the head/block. I'm betting the gasket pushed out towards the coolant channels.

I have a couple theories so far:

1) Bad tune... There might be something wrong with my tune that I'm missing. With regards to boosting (ignoring idle tuning issues and such) the motor has run great in boost up until this weekend, not detonation, hesitating, or any of that nonsense. That said, I was in a bit of a rush getting the car set up for the autocross, so my tune might need some more work. As a matter of fact, I'm sure it does, but I have my doubts about it causing such a catastrophic failure without any warning.

2) User error on head stud installation... I installed the studs one by one, replacing the original headbolts and torquing them to 25 lb*ft After that, I torqued them all at once to 50 lb*ft, then 70 lb*ft. This is similar to the procedure outlined by BMW for replacing head bolts, but I think I should have done them each 25-50-70 one-by-one instead, to keep the headgasket from possibly relaxing under the reduced torque. It's ironic that I was just recommending a friend with a Supra to follow this very procedure. Maybe I should have followed my own advice...

3) A matter of coincidence... I ran the engine very hard for quite a while on 8-10 psi with stock head bolts - I'm willing to bet harder than most budget turbo E30s get driven. It's possible that this compromised the headgasket and the damage only came to light when I turned up the boost. Like I said before, someone mentioned noticing my car giving off some white smoke earlier in the day (before I had bumped up to 15 psi).

Thoughts?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 21, 2014 11:44 am

Regardless you want a real tuner to give it a go. Your tune is most likely the culprit. Nothing against you. You just aren't a pro and there are things you don't know. Shit, I won't touch tunes anymore. I KNOW I'm terrible at it and caused my first HG blow.

Head installation is possible but I doubt it. Just clean everything up, inspect as you go through it, and do a better job this time.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:45 pm

I think I found the issue (tune related), but there's no way to be sure until I get the car up and running again.

Does this look like a pretty complete list of parts for cooling system conversion and headgasket replacement?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K7x12tmjvg9Fx7hFqqRKTwdGjUOZp_F8Q7audCAFNds/pubhtml
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu May 22, 2014 5:15 pm

converting to late model setup? I'm assuming you have a late model radiator and that one of those part numbers is for the metal cross over pipe? You also need a different timing belt cover to fully bolt it down. Otherwise it kinda dangles and hits the fan.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:18 pm

D'oh! Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned I have the 'hard' parts (timing covers, overflow, crossover pipe) for the cooling system conversion. I didn't list the radiator because I'm going to peruse ebay for an aluminum one.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu May 22, 2014 6:38 pm

gotcha. looks good then.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:37 am

Just realized I forgot the o-ring for the oil return tube. It's less than 6 months old, so it should be fine. I hope I don't mess it up in the process -.-
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri May 23, 2014 10:54 am

Worst case, JB weld fixes all
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Haha I used a thin layer of JB weld to keep my TPS from leaking boost. Since I have access to a 3-d printer, I'm going to make up a nicer adapter while everything is apart.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue May 27, 2014 3:54 am

Tune for sure, I wouldn't ever consider doing an autoX on an incomplete tune, especially at higher boost levels. If your going to really run this thing you need to put it on the rollers and get a precise tune before driving at competition levels.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:17 am

M20_fever wrote:Tune for sure, I wouldn't ever consider doing an autoX on an incomplete tune, especially at higher boost levels. If your going to really run this thing you need to put it on the rollers and get a precise tune before driving at competition levels.

A work of art is never complete :wink:

Lots of progress today - got the head off, and started cleaning up the surface and block. I checked the head with a straight edge and it seems okay, but that was before I started cleaning the remaining gasket material off. I'm going to check it again after I finish cleaning it up.

Pulled the head and both manifolds off in one piece (removed the hood and carried it over the front of the car).

On a slightly, maybe positive note, I pulled off the exhaust manifold again and really examined the gasket. It looks like my super-awesome, high-quality ebay manifold might be leaking on 4 out of 6 cylinders. It also looks like the turbo gasket might have bitten the dust. I have OEM exhaust gaskets (I planned to replace it whether it was still good or not) and I'll pick up a new T3 gasket just to be safe. Maybe these (possible) leaks are the source of my lag issues? If I remember, I'll post a picture of the gasket to see what you guys think.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:22 am

I'm sure that will fix a lot if not all of your lag issue. Take the manifold to a machine shop and have them flatten it. Perhaps it was always warped. perhaps the heat cycles did that. It's kind of the nature of turbos (heat) and how they attach. Just adding new gaskets will cause another blow out. Trust me, I know.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Yeah, I'm going to take a closer look at the manifold flange tonight before I finish cleaning up the head and block.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've made a couple changes to the car. I swapped out the turbo for a smaller one, which has resulting in a much more fun power band. I enjoyed the feeling of a big turbo, but I had noticed I was driving the car less and less. Autocross has largely shutdown for the summer, and with the H1C, I had to break the speed limit to seriously get into boost. More pics/info on this to come.

Unfortunately, the car has sprung a substantial oil leak down the front of the engine. It is somewhere in the top end. At first, I feared the new head gasket might have shifted, since there was oil collecting on the little tab of the gasket that sticks out on the exhaust side. It isn't the valve cover gasket, so I think it has to be either a rocker arm plug or the cam seal... It's probably the cam seal. -angry-

The car has also been breaking up pretty badly (leaning out really bad). I think it is the in-tank transfer pump (again!). This one has always been noisy and the noise has...changed. It hasn't gotten any louder, but the pitch is different. I'm hoping this is an easy fix, since I have the oil leak to deal with.

[EDIT] Oh! And there's rust. My car is full of rust. That should be fun...
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Yea probably cam seal. If you aren't running any kind of negative crank case ventilation, you could be building pressure and pushing the seal out. <3 neg crank case pressure.

The breaking up could be a lot of things. I'd start with spark plugs. Check fuel pressure if possible.

Return to “Builds”