Re: Ryki's Intro to E30 Class

Postby Nsquared97 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:46 am

Vielen danke?
Ryki
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Postby Ryki » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:43 pm

Something of that sort, yes. Interesting news, picked up a 325 DiamondSchwartz with a set of 17's, extra set of springs and shocks and a set of euroweaves with cap and spare for 1600 dollars. Great stuff to pick up from so many peeps in one day but sadly I won't be able to work on the 325 until April timeframe though, work is gonna be fun. I plan on doing head gasket, valve cover gasket, timing belt, water pump and cam shaft seal as well as fluids change. Then it'll be time to fix up the 318is : )
Last edited by Ryki on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:52 pm

All this euro goodness you keep picking up. It's just unfair! Haha

Pictures!
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:25 pm

So, let's see if I can recap some things. The 318is is doing wonderfully, it's still getting 33mpg at the lowest and I've got everything I need to completely reseal and replace every wear and tear item in the car as well as some upgrades. I picked up a set of H&R Sport springs for dirt cheap for it and I have a short shift kit to spice things up a little. I'm also planning on fixing the one spot of rust, stripping the paint and redoing everything. I wanted to go cheap and do a roll on so I may have to go flat black if I can't find a flat dark gray. The 50 dollar paint jobs you see out there may be poop but I have paint and body experience so I figured I can make the best of it. Debating on deleting side trip and what type of paint I should use, anyone care to chime in?

First of the good news is that I picked up a set of TMS J-Stock springs in excellent condition for a fair price. Next bit is that my 318is and I went to Garmisch Germany and enjoyed some snow and skiing. I also spent the trip back driving with a new friend and we got in an accident (broke my front license plate holder, it's all plastic and nothing else got hurt), then got pulled over by German Polezei that didn't know what to do with us because we're both military, and then we got lost but didn't care cause we spent the road trip singing lol! 5 hours of driving and more has happened to me and my car than any other time and because of that I decided to finally name the car after my road trip friend Helen.

I haven't had a chance to take pictures of the black 325i that I have as it is currently up at the auto skills waiting for me to do the timing belt, cam shaft seal, water pump and lifter adjustment. The reason I am selling it is the wonderful news that I am working out buying the M3!!!!!! We haven't talked price but I've got a good starting point to offer him and he's very flexible with me!

So I need some advice, what would you consider a starting point to offer for a 88 M3, red with rlack leather interior, American spec, 130k~ miles (if I remember right) that is running and driving good but needs a complete paint job (see color :P) and possibly other things (I'll find that out when we meet to talk price, he said it's reliant on how much work I'll need to do to it). There may be wheels included, stock weaves, some AC Schnitzers I gave him and possibly some rare 3 piece wheels but I'm not worried about those things. I just want a starting point, what to check and where (even include obvious E30 spots so I can write them all down) and how I should work this out. I'm more excited than I can say and I really want to make sure this works out.

Thanks again and sorry for the lack of pictures!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:37 pm

I hate roll on paint jobs. so much effort for not much.

can't tell you about M3 pricing at all.

you fuck helen? I guess not cuz you got a ring but you never know. Why you in a car alone with another woman?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Well I don't know what they are going for over there, but in the US market a clean M3 is going for around $15k, and really clean original cars can go for $20k+. A rough one needing a lot of work is still worth upwards of $8k. Keep in mind also, the s14 will cost $10k+ to rebuild, and at 130k miles its going to be needing at least a refresh and new timing hardware sooner than later. That said, I would give a left nut for an M3. It's funny, I know a couple other military guys that went overseas and brought back US spec M3s, lol, are they common to import back to the motherland or something?

Nice that you snagged some J-Stocks! Did you get the dampeners too, or just the springs?

Don't bother with the roll on paint job. Besides looking like ass unless you spend literally weeks wet sanding and buffing, the rustolium your going to use can't be sprayed over so you would need to strip the car to bare metal to do a real paint job when you decide you hate the roll on. With the time and effort you'd put into making a roll on look decent, you could have done a decent single stage enamel job that would look 10x better.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:19 pm

No I didn't, I was in a car with another woman because I was giving someone a ride to the airport, I don't see the difference if that person is a chick or a dude.
That's a good starting point to think about, thanks Tony. Hopefully everything looks good underneath and I can plan out money to puts towards rebuilding it while also thinking initially buying it.
Didn't get the dampeners but TMS still has them for sale so I plan on picking them up here shortly.
Fair enough on the paint job, I'll have to see what I can find in terms of a booth to paint in. Really makes me wish I had a garage for that but would be nice for other reasons as well.
Last edited by Ryki on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:01 am

don't mind what I say. I'm really sick and drunk
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:26 am

Not a very good combination man! Sad to see you're selling the s52 :/
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:56 am

The market's definitely come up in the past couple years. Prices for an average M3 seem to be in the 14-17k range. If it NEEDS paint job, I could still see 11k+ as long as there's no rust. AC Schnitzers and the other 3 pcs only drive up the price unnecessarily unless you like them or he doesn't want them.

Like other people have said. Skip the DIY paint job on a car of that caliber. Maaco (no idea what an equivalent would be in Germany) will likely do a better job for less than you'd spend on the paint if it's your first time (no offense, I can't paint to save my life lol).
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:12 am

I do like the Schnitzers but I haven't seen the three pieces but I would much rather have any money towards wheels to instead go towards the car and/or a garage for it.

Nah, paint and such here is about 3 times as expensive and labor rates are about twice as much so I didn't even consider someone else doing it. My dad did paint and body as a full time job for about 4-5 years and did it on and off for another 20, I did a few paint jobs with him with the worst being a VW Bug, CURVES EVERYWHERE!!!! I just have zero facilities to do my own paint job and even finding a garage to rent is all but impossible. I'll have to see what I can do because the paint is definitely about dead and I need to cut out that front left quarter behind the tire and replace it because of the rust. I guess I just really need to find a garage :P
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Ryki wrote:I do like the Schnitzers but I haven't seen the three pieces but I would much rather have any money towards wheels to instead go towards the car and/or a garage for it.

Nah, paint and such here is about 3 times as expensive and labor rates are about twice as much so I didn't even consider someone else doing it. My dad did paint and body as a full time job for about 4-5 years and did it on and off for another 20, I did a few paint jobs with him with the worst being a VW Bug, CURVES EVERYWHERE!!!! I just have zero facilities to do my own paint job and even finding a garage to rent is all but impossible. I'll have to see what I can do because the paint is definitely about dead and I need to cut out that front left quarter behind the tire and replace it because of the rust. I guess I just really need to find a garage :P

Gotcha - depends on how much the seller tries to tack on for throwing in the wheels, then. You can just resell them if you don't like them.

Understood about the paint. The rust should drive the price down a good bit. There are still enough clean ones out there that rust still has pretty strong bearing on the price, considering the M3s unique body panels.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Sold the 325 today and the guy seems really rather excited. Put some good work into such as new exhaust, timing belt, water pump, wires, alternator and other things. Got her running really good, passed inspection and passed it on for cost to another person. I would say the 1800 for it wasn't a bad deal considering how much running 325s go for over here.

As for the M3, had some good news today as he's looking into the transfer now and he came up with an asking price. He's asking 12k for it and I'm not sure what he's including. I hate loving these cars enough that I would just go ahead with it as my gut feeling would say that 10k and I'd be at his doorstep now if it made things quicker... The car has got beautifully immaculate black leather interior and the engine was rebuilt, it's also got new suspension (Bilstein with H&R) as well as bushings and other things and has been kept up well. Issues are it's Henna Rot and needs a new paint job and he says it's got some surface rust, I really need to get a better look at it underneath. Depending if he includes anything or not will depend on if I want to spend the 12k but I'm worried if I offer 10k and he walks that I'll always regret it... I may just keep on keeping on with it and get the car and be happy >.> LEFT NUT BE GIVEN!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 pm

12k wow. I couldn't do that.

Return to “Builds”