North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Ryki
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Ryki's Intro to E30 Class

Postby Ryki » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am

What happens when a 4 cyl E30 eats a 6 cyl E30?

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:52 am

I spy an early model M20
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 am

Interesting approach to an M20 swap.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:15 pm

Well, happy to say that my IS is being shipped over to Germany next week. When it arrives I'm going to do PS, trans, diff, and oil changes. Redline in everything but motor as I have some 5w50 for winter time and 15w50 for summer. I have two cases of 20w50 racing oil but that won't get used til I'm in a warmer climate. I have a lot of work to do to the M3 this winter so I'll be saving the below til summer and DD the M3 while I work on the IS. I already have new winters on steelies and new all seaons on 15x8 TR C1s. I will also be posting my collection of wheels to get some help picking a set and then selling most of the rest. I have 5-7 sets of Euroweaves, two sets of Borbets, a set of steelies, a set of bottlecaps and a set of 14" shadow weaves and some style 10s and some staggered black 16's....

I'll also be doing 17# injectors and chip, headgasket, ARP headstuds, timing belt, water pump, cam seal, and valve cover gasket. I also have subframe, control arm (m3 offsets to match the M3), upgraded (group n rate) trans and motor mounts, ball joints etc. for the IS. I may also get the front and rear subframe done like the M3 if the quality etc. turns out well. I already did the CV boots and I will save the wheel bearings for another time. I also plan one doing oil pan gaskets as I'll have the chance to. Other things include tossing in the sweet Grey Uberkaro sport seats I have to replace the tan seats in it, I'm sorry but as clean as they are I don't like tan on white too much and grey is my favorite color... I also have a uncracked dash to replace the semi cracked one in it, I actually have 2 more extra uncracked dashes down there.

Future plans are to get into some driving schools with it and take it to track events as possible. I'd like to learn how to drive with it and see where my future plans take me. If I do DoD teaching I'll be overseas only so I'll probably turbo, BBK, Spec 3 clutch, and put a racing timing belt on it but that's 3-4 years down the line, plenty of time to learn it with the power it already has : ) I had been debating other options, 4 door LeMans blue E30 or a Wagon with a M30 or a S50B32 (may be getting the M30 for the basement anyways as it's free). Also debated S50 for the M3 but I feel rebuilding the S14 and keeping it super clean is what it deserves (Still needs to be driven though!).
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Sounds like your keeping busy, lol. What are shadow weaves? Just blacked out?
HSAX Instructor

Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:22 am

Yeah, they came in a anthracite like color from the factory
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:41 pm

So, no update in a while as I haven't been stateside. Good news though, I got two weeks of leave back home so I have a list of things I'm doing, bear with me as it's long but I'll try to group it.

Brakes:
New OEM BlankRotors
Stoptech Posi Quiet Pads
SS Brake Lines
Newly redone calipers, cleaned, coated, baked, resealed
Redone caliper carriers to match!

Engine:
Head Gasket and Bolts (ARP and MLS is for my spare M20 >.>)
Valve Cover Gasket
Top and Bottom End Gasket Set
Timing Belt
Water Pump
All new coolant hoses and clamps
Thermostat
Exhaust Shields
HD Bimmerworld Engine Mounts
Red42 Skid Plate
Air Filter
Fuel Filter (Already has new pump)
20w50 Oil
Oil Filter
Magnetic Drain Plug

Bushings and Driveline:
Guibo and Bolts
Center Support Bearing
Rear Subframe Bushings
Control Arms and Solid M3 Offset CABs
Tie Rod Ends
Steering Rack Boots
HD Bimmerworld Trans Mount
Z3 Short Shift Kit
Sway Bar Links
SS Clutch Line (and a clutch stop for inside)

Suspension:
Lowtec 60/50 with matching shocks (got these for 230 bucks to my door in a day......)
Front Strut/Shock Mounts
Rear Shock Mounts
57mm Wheel Studs

I also have a complete AC refresh to updated coolant
Radiator
Fan
Lines
Seals

And! A new headunit swapped from my M3 as well as Keyless entry from GermanEngineering on R3vlimited!
I also have new headlights, kidneys, and grill from Abrahamsmotorsports (bought a set for the M3 and the 325is).

Furthermore, I'll have a OEM clutch kit to do sometime in the future but I wanna have the stock flywheel machined down and I figured I couldn't have that done while on leave. Final steps will be in two years when I got back. I'll have a crack free dash and some Uberkaro Grey Sport Interior with some grey carpet going in, yay euro only goodies!
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:23 am

Haha, that's an awful long list for two weeks. Do you plan to leave the garage at all? Should be like a new car after its all done though.
HSAX Instructor

Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:54 pm

I'd expect it to take a few days, I've done everything listed between 1 and 6 times on different E30s so nothing will be new :D I've done other things like spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, distributor, fuel pump, etc. I also have an all new interior, uberkaro grey sport seats, grey carpet, new dash and center console, and a rear headrest as well as a black headliner :D
bradbimmer
n00b

Postby bradbimmer » Fri May 15, 2015 1:57 pm

congrats on the new baby
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:18 am

Thanks! I did all the work stated above minus the rsfb and AC, my brother is doing the AC now and the rsfb can wait til I can get back home again. The car rides like a dream, handles even better, and runs like a champ again. So nice to be in a well sorted E30, a new shifter and I'd be a happy man. I had a mid pipe done up to remove the cat/resonator. I took the DP and went to a muffler shop (yes I drop minus headers and the car didn't die). I redid the exhaust like newer cars, I did cut the header and made a downpipe, flexed the end for a subaru style connector, ran new mid mipe and welded the old end to the new midpipe. With the scorpion muffler at the end the car sounds better now and I can look at things further down the road.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Interesting exhaust setup, what was the motivation? I removed the resonator on my 318i m42 car and didn't care for the sound with just the stock muffler. My m20 has a Bosal exhaust with no cat or resonator and it sounds awesome, using the stock manifolds and collector.
HSAX Instructor

Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:17 pm

Well, I wrapped my downpipe so I could remove some heat right there. It also allowed me to redo the studs while I was at it and know that I can now leave it there. Add in the fact that I just have to remove the midpipe to remove the trans and I've saved effort if I ever have any trouble down the road. That and the fact that the exhaust has better resonance at WOT but doesn't have any drone at highway speeds and my mom is happy, so hurrah!
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:18 pm

Actually, mechanically there's not much else I can do to the car. I'll be looking forward to plasti dipping the car, redoing the interior, dash, and carpet, and getting everything perfect down the road.

Return to “Builds”