The adition to my addiction, meet Simona, the new daily.

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

The adition to my addiction, meet Simona, the new daily.

Postby Nsquared97 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:36 am

So a buddy of mine (wags) sent me a CL ad a couple days ago. Price seemed fairly reasonable, it was what I have been interested in as a DD/winter beater (especially with gas over $4.20/gal!) Ended up checking it out and buying it the same day. Everyone, meet Simona!
Side by side with Sabine:
Awwwe yeah, Pirelli's baby! Well on 3 corners anyway, the 4th is in the trunk.
Look at that snazzy roundel...
Ewww.
No tool kit? :(
Yikes. Thankfully by far the worst of it, most of the rest of the car seems pretty solid
As my buddy said, looks like the PO had a pet bear.
More yuck. Hmmm, what could be under those seat covers?
Sport seats! Pass. side is in pretty decent shape, the driver's side not so much.
Someone was kind enough to leave this for me under the seat. Along with a Mary Kay pendant I found later.
Super snazzy Alpine head unit. Even tilt's out, and you can adjust the angle it sit at.
179k, but the odo doesn't work.
No check panel? I looked on the backside, and there is one bulb, no idea what it's for.
Dat M10 hahahaha
I could be wrong, but isn't this belt supposed to be inside out?

So here's the details; 1985 318i. M10 5spd pretty base everything. Guy said the CSB was bad, but after driving it, I am betting it's the guibo. There all sorts of things that don't work, and some that do haha. Headlights are literally aimed at the ground, highbeams are aimed about where the lows should be. One fog works, most of the interior lighting doesn't, neither does the clock. Radio does work. Exhaust is loud, shifter is as loose as... yeah. Feels like a boat, not sure if I am just used to the changes I have made on Sabine, or if 318's ride a little different. Idles for crap when it's cold, but it feels fairly strong (can't get on it hard with the bad guibo). And honestly, it doesn't feel as incredibly slow as everyone makes them out to be. Brakes feel BETTER than Sabine's (stupid HPS pads). Cruise doesn't work according to the PO, but I have a feeling it may just be the bracket for the clutch switch that likes to bend over time. Odometer doesn't work, going to have to get a new gearset, mainly just because I'm curious what kind of mileage I can get with it. Oh and the wheels have either been painted some off white color, or they lost all the original coating. Going to be re-doing them at some point, not sure which color...
Last edited by Nsquared97 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Re: The adition to my addiction, meet Simona, the new daily.

Postby Nsquared97 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:58 am

Just decoded the VIN. I'm pretty sure all US cars had A/C and cruise standard, and it's almost impossible to find one without a sunroof, so that makes power windows about the only option this car had from the factory lol. And built on the 2nd day of 1985, kinda neat.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:58 am

Remembered I had the old mismatched rear seat from Sabine. Wasn't sure if it would fit going from a 2 door to 4, but figured there was only one way to find out. Pulled the nasty old one out, and I found a ton of treasures hiding!
Along with some broken glass we have: $1.37 in change, 6 pens, 1 pencil, 1 brown crayon, 1 red golf tee (to go with the white one I found in the trunk), 1 very rusty bottle opener, 1 plastic thingy, 1 6 sided die, 1 'Dash apparel' pendant thingy, 1 zipper pull, and 1 clippy thing. Also an old business card for a landscape architect group in Los Angeles, and a day pass to Warner Bros. So she's been to Cali, interesting.
The seat back fit pretty easily, although it look like the brackets/tabs at the bottom extend down a lot further on this one than the original. Eventually if I keep this seat in, I'll just drill another set of holes and bolt it down. For now I just used the pressure from the bottom to hold it in. Speaking of pressure, it was a fight to get that bottom in. Mainly just didn't want to fit all the way back so that the two clips would go in. I got 'er though. Also note BMW switched which side the center seatbelt latches on, not sure if that's a 2/4 door thing, or difference between years. And now that I think of it, I may just be able to swap sides on that, I'll have to check.
Good riddance!!! Also note these were the coil spring style cushions, the ones I put in were foam.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:49 pm

M10 E30s from what I can tell got the spring seats. An M10 I stripped for interior parts had the same. Not comfy in the least. I would never have put them in the car if I worked at motorwerke.

It's funny how they make the engine bay look so cluttered with such a small motor.

What makes you think guibo?

I was gonna come in here and say "boo early early model M10" but the car actually looks really nice. Might need some love but that M10 EFI is pretty... primitive.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:43 pm

I agree with Yoshi but I enjoy the bear mauled look :D!
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:37 pm

how the FUCK do you do that to an interior??
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Idk Yoshi, I think the spring seats may have just been an early, early model thing (84, 85, maybe 86?) The 85 eta Austin and I found in a junkyard was pretty loaded with options but still had spring seats.

I will be honest I'm not entirely sure what a bad CSB would sound or feel like, but I'm guessing vibration that gets worse as speed increases? This sounds and feels exactly like when I have had bolts fall out of my other car's guibo, really nasty vibration/thumping from right under the shifter when you get on it at low rpm in first or second.

And idk about nice, but thanks guys. She does need work, but I think it shouldn't be too hard to make it pretty respectable.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Lol Tony I'm guessing a dog. Kinda smells like it inside, and I found hair when I pulled the rear seat.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:37 pm

CSB will cause a vibration on accel, bad guibo will cause a speed related vibration.
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Mint interior!

Were you questioning that fan belt? What looked inside out?
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:53 am

ten2doyle102 wrote:Mint interior!

Were you questioning that fan belt? What looked inside out?

The one on the alt in the last pic, aren't the ribs supposed to be on the inside, smooth/flat part on the outside?

A bit of an update, drove the car yesterday to the place I am moving into, loaded to the gills with my crap. Drive was rather interesting. The windows are tempermental, sometime they work, sometimes they don't, sometimes they are just slow as shit. Oh and the speedo decided to stop working all together. Then it tried to work and jumped around for a minute, then it just gave up again. Other than that the car drove pretty good.

Today after getting everything moved to my new place (but not unpacked by any means) I made another visit out to my buddy wags. Scored a very good condition vinyl seat set, comfort seats but sooo much better condition than the torn to shreds driver's sport seat. Also got a working hood latch pull, some extra window switches to try, driveshaft with guibo, and a extra cluster for parts. Hopefully the odo gears are good on that one, and they are the same between M10/ETA.
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:46 am

Oh , no I am pretty sure that its right. Of wouldn't work the other way since it doesnt have the "v" portion of the belt on that side.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:08 am

belts right.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:25 pm

yup. and speedo Sounds like a loose ground.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:48 pm

All simple fixes so far!!!!

Return to “Builds”