The adition to my addiction, meet Simona, the new daily.

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: The adition to my addiction, meet Simona, the new daily.

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Haha thanks guys. Hopefully I'll have her up and running at full strength this week.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:25 pm

It looks like a nice DD. Glad you got that rear seat replaced. sigh...gone are the days of $500 318s, I guess.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:05 am

blasphemy101 wrote:It looks like a nice DD. Glad you got that rear seat replaced. sigh...gone are the days of $500 318s, I guess.

Yeah... I will say though E30's in general are pretty rare around here. I go nuts if I see another one on the road, no matter what it is because it happens to rarely.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:56 pm

So I was just out trying to get a couple small things done before work. Popped the hood to reset the service lights, found that there was no dummy plug for the diagnostic port;

Lights reset just fine, but does it hurt anything not having the plug in place?

Also found this, which scared me just a bit...
Fuel return line (right?) that looks like it was just cut... WTF? Well that's just sketchy. I should just be able to get the correct size/length of line and replace it, right? If I remember right from my other car, the fuel hardlines are right on the frame rail on the driver's side. Going to have to dig some more to find if the other bit of line is there or just gone.

Also got underneath the car to check the guibo, looks just fine. Does look like the rear seal of the trans is leaking... great. How much of a PITA is that to replace?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:23 pm

That's the vacuum line to the intake not the return line. The return line should be larger and coming off the other side of the fpr. Be sure to use vacuum line and not fuel line or it could collapse under vacuum.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:36 pm

heh, if it was a return line, it'd spew fuel everywhere. Car will run much better with that plugged into the proper intake port.

Never done a rear seal on a trans... couldn't tell ya.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Ahhh yeah duh, that makes sense now that I look at it. Hopefully that explains the crappy idle.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:02 am

I'll post a real update later, don't have internet yet just using my phone. Anyway, the CSB is bad, like I just pulled the support bracket off, bad. So, how do you replace these, and what exactly do you need? Pelican has the bearing assembly pretty cheap, but they mention backing plates and circlips too. Do I need those or do they come with the new bearing? I'd do more research on my own but using my phone is a serious PITA for that.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:13 am

I just reuse all that shit. Get circle clip off, bang out old bearing, bang in new bearing with some lube, put clip and plate back on, yay!
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:19 am

Alright I can actually do a proper update now. First off, last week I did figure out where that vacuum line went, there's a little nipple on the intake mani. Popped it back on, car seems to start a little easier, and idle better now, so that's good. Had some free time Sunday, really wanted to get under the car and figure out what was going on in the driveline, as that's the only thing that's really keeping me from driving it. Turns out the CSB looks kinda like this...

Rest of the bearing is still on the driveshaft. Ordered a new CSB from Pelican today, hopefully I can get it on this weekend. Need to get a new set of snap-ring pliers, the ones I have suck and won't do the job for getting that circlip off. And may have to get a pipe wrench for that locking nut on the driveshaft, seems to be the best way to get it lose.

After that, I went through and checked all the fuses just to see if any were bad. Turns out #20 was, which is for heater/AC according to the Bentley. I figured that makes sense since the blower motor doesn't work. Popped a new fuse in, tried the fan, nothing. Checked the new fuse, and that one is now toast too. What would cause that circuit to blow a new fuse immediately?

Also pulled the cluster, I got a spare VDO one that I was hoping I could just take the good gears out of for the odometer. Turns out M10 cars only use 2 of the 3 big plugs for the cluster;

Interesting. Definitely way less wires back there than I remember on my 325. Later on tearing into the cluster:

I found it pretty crazy how intricate the Odo reset is:

Gauges galore!

So here's what the gears looked like from the 318i cluster:

I have no idea what the dried up sticky crap is, but it seems to be on every set of gears I have seen. The little one was in multiple pieces, the others were kinda stuck together and missing a few teeth. I ended up deciding (after one of the good ones I was going to use crumbled in my hand trying to wash it) that I only wanted to do this once, and replace them with a set that won't break. Ordered the VDO set from Garagistic, hoping that shows up this week too so the cluster is ready to go when I get the driveshaft squared away.

Found this a bit interesting. The spare cluster was from an ETA, the speedos are slightly different:

ETA on the left, M10 on the right. May have just been a year thing, not sure.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:11 am

I took apart an ODO to find it caked on with a brown goop and one literally fell apart like wax when I touched it....
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:45 am

I always thought the goop was just lube. *shrugs* My first CSB was like that too. PITA to fix. I also never use the circlip pliers. I just use screw drivers cuz I'm too lazy to buy the tool lol.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:49 pm

I like the m10 gauge better. When a fuse house right away like that it's usually a wire grounding out somewhere.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:47 am

Ditto that Tony on the M10 gauge. Ryki, I have something to add later to your ODO gear replacement instructions regarding VDO clusters I found out the hard way...
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Interesting, I'm sure there's always something cause this clusters are crazy...

Return to “Builds”