YAY or NAY?!?!?

Post a build of your car or project HERE
tm180sx
n00b
AntiSpam: No

YAY or NAY?!?!?

Postby tm180sx » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Whats up guys i have 1987 E30 that I am wondering if it will even be worth the taboggle. A little history of the car. I bought the car off a r3vlimited member who purchased it from the one who started the junkyard save in the first place JasonC. The car may not look to bad but what lies underneath is a whole other ball game. I purchased the car about 2 years ago. I drove around for a little bit as is because it looks bad ass. However the disease and rot i have going down below is not safe in the slightest degree but I'm wondering from the Experts (You Guys) what i should do with this tight little machine because im am new to this game but deff willing to cooperate and listen. Thanks ~ Matt

Pics:[/SIZE][/SIZE]Image

All Fine and Dandy right?.......

ughhhh:

Driverside Frame Rail YIKES!

M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: YAY or NAY?!?!?

Postby M20_fever » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 pm

So sad to that since this is one of the 2 or 3 cars that got me into e30s to begin with. If it were my car, I would be looking for a clean shell to swap all that goodness over to. The cancer is in the bones of that shell, and too much work to save considering you can find clean rolling shells for cheap. There is a 325e on the Milwaukee CL right now for $1k obo that would be a perfect candidate, but I'm sure there are plenty more out there. Wish I could tell you to save it in good conscience, but to even attempt to fix that you would need to strip it down to a bare shell anyway, so may as well just swap all the good bits into a shell that is clean. It would be much cheaper than fixing that rot. :( Please keep this car as it sits now, just with a clean shell, its one of the best e30s on the forums...
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:43 pm

taboggle? That's a new word to me lol.

I agree with tony. Rust can be fixed but frame rust is something I won't deal with. The car will never be the same again. I concur with finding a new shell.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 pm

M20_fever wrote:If it were my car, I would be looking for a clean shell to swap all that goodness over to.

+3...

It would take more work to save that shell than it would to swap everything over. I love almost everything about the look of this car...
tm180sx
n00b

Postby tm180sx » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:24 am

I feels ya and getting a clean shell but no body has time for that lol and this car is too sexy to chop up personally. it has so much character. but i need to know what you guys think i should do in order to prep this thang for weld like what products are best to strip the trunk also what rust treatment would work best. I'm in the learning process so thats why im turning to you guys for the proper advice.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:54 am

If your set on fixing it your going to need to strip the interior out, and drop the rear sub frame at the very least. Hit all the rust with a wire wheel to get all the loose stuff off. Surface rust can be treated with por15 or StopsRust Chassis Saver, but anything rusted through needs to have new sheet metal cut in.

Honestly, if you don't have time to swap everything over to a new shell you certainly don't have time to properly fix that rust. You could swap everything to a new shell in a few full days with some beer and helpers, but fixing all that rust will take TONS of time cleaning and fabing patch panels. My car wasn't even close to that bad and I had around 40 hours of time into cleaning and patching rust on my car. Its all in my build thread if you want to see whats involved.

Also keep in mind, for every spot of rust you can see, there are ten more worse ones you can't. Once you start pulling that thing apart your going find a lot more hiding, and its safe to assume most of the hard brake and fuel lines will need to be replaced while your in there.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:33 pm

I wouldn't even touch the welding for frame repair. You're missing whole sections. Maybe find a local shop to do it for you?
Dontrusthise30
I <3 E30's

Postby Dontrusthise30 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:56 pm

I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, but I wanted you to know that this is one of my favorite e30's. Everything about the look is spot on. Find another shell and make it look exactly the same!
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Tony is 110% right, when dealing with this type of rust you're going to have to strip it to the frame and start from there. Any hard lines that you have in those areas are going to be as bad or worse and would need replacing. When you're talking rust like it'll mean fabrication of parts and frame rail stuff is doable but only really so if it's not surrounded by the car itself. I would more than suggest or recommend, almost necessitate the need to do that or go with a different idea and start with something already good. You can get a decent car, strip what's on it and put your car back together the way you want it. This'll give you that starting point you probably need and you can sell whatever is usable that is left over.

If this seems like to much, and it would be for a lot of people, I would understand. Interestingly enough I've seen this car before and it sets in my mind as a shining example of why I love E30's. Best of luck with things with whatever road you choose to help this poor gal : )
tm180sx
n00b

UPDATE FO SHO!

Postby tm180sx » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 am

So i decided to tear into this ratchet machine and pull the interior and get a more focused look on the cancer situation. Everything went smoothly. I pulled the front bumper off as well, it looks surprisingly well under neath there. How ever the driver side floor now down to the bones, you can now see the wheel well is catching some disease along with the firewall near the steering column. The floor pan was once patched with a plate that has also now caught a case of the rot so I'm going to cut the rest of that out hopefully this week :devillook

Passenger Floor:

M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:25 am

Props if you can pull this off man, its way more than I would attempt. Keep this thread up to date, can't wait to see some progress! What are you going to use to treat all the new metal your cutting in?
HSAX Instructor

87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:20 am

M20_fever wrote:What are you going to use to treat all the new metal your cutting in?

I vote Sharpie! :mrgreen:

But on a serious note, much credit due to you for taking this on. I don't even have time to put a coat of POR-15 on my rust, nevermind actually cut and weld.
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban
tm180sx
n00b

Postby tm180sx » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:12 pm

well project is over lmfao this car is toast im just gonna part ways with it unfotunately. how much could i put the bumpers, valence, and the Kamei splitters of forsale?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:26 am

TT TT Bummer man...

Nick, you need to get those parts!
HSAX Instructor

M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:35 am

Do you have the 3 piece rear spoiler that goes with the splitters? May be interested if the price is right. No idea what they are actually worth though...
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Builds”