Ryki's Intro to M3

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Ryki
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Ryki's Intro to M3

Postby Ryki » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:41 pm

I am really at a loss for words every time I stop by to take her for a drive. I parked her in a nice parking garage on base because we've been having break in and car vandalism in my area of base housing. I wish I could get a garage and treat her well but first up is to wait until it's winter. I've got most of the bushings collected, I just need a new guibo and center support bearing as well as a transmission rebuild (new seals, new clutch and such as well as a Z3 short shifter). Still waiting on the two boxes of parts to see what engine stuff I need to order/get : )
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:44 am

I would keep with stock components on that car. It is an investment vehicle at this point. Restore it and enjoy it for what it was when it ruled touring car racing, don't try to make it better or you will make it worth less.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:51 am

Noms, I'll be saving, cleaning and then storing all components that come off the car :D
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:29 am

haha, that's what I did too. At some point I gave in and admitted the car could never really be put back to stock...at least not by me.
HSAX Instructor

Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat May 03, 2014 6:45 am

Well, my wife brought an interesting point when I was explaining that over the next six months I want to collect things to redo the driveline and suspension. I told her how I planned on removing the engine, transmission, diff and front and rear subframes and explained the cost of the engine rebuild. When she asked why I was rebuilding an expensive engine I couldn't give her a good reason past that it was the original motor. Her suggestion: Why not save the S14 and put some engine in that I don't mind driving all the time.... So, thoughts on having another motor in the car and save the S14 from ever having a chance of getting hurt? So six months of collecting stuff, six months of winter to redo everything (recital, replace, reveal).
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat May 03, 2014 11:01 am

I'd do a basic run down of the engine. Comp check/leak down before making any decisions.

Personally, if it were mine and the motor checked out, I'd just do maintenance and drive the bitch. Do preventative stuff and that's it. Enjoy it!
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun May 04, 2014 6:56 am

Ehhh, not having actually driven a M3, isn't the S14 half the magic of driving one? Granted, like Tony said for daily useage it isn't the greatest, but it doesn't sound like you are using it as such. I would say just proper maintanence, keep on top of any leaks, etc, and enjoy it while preserving it as best you can. Maybe keep an eye out for any S14's for sale.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sun May 04, 2014 8:47 am

It was a thought : ) I'm just in the planning and saving stages at this point. An s14 and transmission is like 10 grand so I didn't want to break something so expensive but I probably won't be driving it terribly much with the work commute. That and the fact that fucking everything for M3's is skyrocketing, a water pump is about 300 bucks......
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:28 pm

The S14 seems to be pretty robust, that said, high-mileage-related jobs won't be cheap. I love the engine. To me, it is the best 4-cylinder engine ever put into a production car.

That said, it was the only thing my dad disliked about his M3! He constantly played with the idea of sending his out for an S50B32 or S52 conversion. His was a daily driver, and it never left him stranded or anything, but it seemed like there were constantly little issues and idiosyncrasies he had to deal with that were all related to the motor.

Since you're in Germany, I wouldn't completely put off the idea of an S50B32 swap, if it can be done without making any permanent modifications to the rest of the car. It would make for an awesome car without as much of a concern for the rarity of the engine. Yes, S50B32s are probably rare, but they aren't as uncommon as S14s (yet).

All in all, if you think you'd like to set the original engine aside and can do so without some irreversible mods, do so! It's your car, and you should enjoy it. You may be part of the last 'generation' of M3 owners who are able to do so. DO NOT sell that engine, though. Keep it with the car, for sure!
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue May 06, 2014 2:20 am

I dunno, without the s14 an m3 is just another wide body e30 imo. Plenty of 318s out there to hack up, the m3 has reached collector status. You will need to make some semi-permenent mods to swap anything in there.
HSAX Instructor

Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Tue May 06, 2014 10:23 am

To say that the M3 without the S14 is just a wide body E30 is a little strange to hear. I have a 318is that is well taken care of and set-up and the feeling of driving, not slamming or trying to go fast, driving a M3 is exhilarating. The car is built and built well. All those small changes I've seen people downplay lead to a difference that is addicting. I got the opportunity to drive it with my new wheels (pics to come) and it made my week. Going 130 on the autobahn, mph not kph, and cruising was amazing but what was really amazing was 50-80 down back roads. The car holds the ground, lets you feel everything you're doing and responds like a dream. Taking a roundabout exit ramp at 60, feeling your stomach lurch but the car stay planted :3 I can't say how much I love this car. I want to get a Go-Pro and share it.

I want to keep the car original so much so that I want to save it, I don't want to blow the motor and I could only do the 3k ish rebuild, not the 12+k rebuild. I have access to a full shop, 6-7 mechanics, one of which has owned E30s since inception and has done more motor swaps than I could count (he spent 3 hours counting and I stopped somewhere in the 70 range) so I could very well work it so that I have a more powerful car while literally preserving it's integrity then I'll go ahead and do it. I plan on rebuilding the S14 and G265/5 out of the car either way, figured I should while I have the money. If I end up with a S50b32 before this winter it may happen as I already have extra subframes and things for it (through the older gentlemen friend).

I certainly appreciate y'all's thoughts, I'll do my best to get some videos of driving the car. And of course anyone is welcome to fly into Frankfurt and spend a weekend with me and my E30s :D (Ordering a kit to rebuild the free turbo I got and trying to save/spend my money exactly where I want it before I get out in 3 years :P)
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:33 pm

I guess an update is due. Car is still driving like a dream, I've adjusted and replaced a few things but I'm waiting until winter to knock out all the bushings, all 4 wheel bearings and the cv boots to boot, heh. Drove the car home at 140 mph last night, took the exchange ramps at a 100 mph and it was all legal! Definitely loving it : )
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:10 am

needs video.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am

Babies make everything better?

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:53 am

Babys ruin car paint. Look at what he's already done to it!

Return to “Builds”