Ryki's Intro to M3

Post a build of your car or project HERE
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender
AntiSpam: No

Re: Ryki's Intro to M3

Postby M20_fever » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:58 am

lol, the hood has diaper rash.

I love that your driving that thing! Can't wait for the winter projects to start.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:05 pm

So! Things for the M3!

I replaced the center support bearing and the drive shaft flex disk. Turns both were the original and made in West Germany... The guibo was so broken and was contacting the shift arm, I have a Z3 short shift and new bushings set from Garagistic on the way. The car is great under excelleration and the weird vibration is now gone at 65, 85 and 100+ mph speeds....

I also did the trans, diff, and ps fluids. They didn't look bad, definitely seen a lot worse, but they weren't good and I filled em up with some Liquimoly I had leftover for now as I'll be putting Redline in come spring. I didn't do an oil change as I bought the car right as he did one, literally saw him at the auto skills doing it. I did however order a bottom end gasket set as well as a Turner oil baffle, so that will be going in shortly. Since I was doing the bottom end I had a few more things I was going to do at the same time...

I ordered some IE motor mounts, mine are squished and dying like nothing else. I also ordered some E24 tranny mounts and.... New Subframes! Garagistic was nice enough to source front and rear subframes, they're cleaning em up, welding reinforcement plates on both as well as rear camber and toe adjustments and then powdercoating em! My plain is to do subframe, diff, control arm, ball joint, and tie rod ends while dropping the front and rear subframe and hoisting the engine with a cross mount so I can do the bottom end gaskets, oil baffle, oil pump and chain with the subframe out. I'll also do the steering rack boots at the same time. I also have rear shock mount reinforcements to toss in as well. So every suspension bushing shall have been replaced and the Bilstein/H&R combo is less than a year and a half old so that's that!

Further purchases shall be new wheel bearings and CV boots, brakes were done with the suspension so they're great as well. Already has SS brake lines and Super ATE 200 Blue fluid, I'll do a partial flush as I have a spare can lying around. Once that is done I'll be pressure washing the undercarriage and applying some rust bullet and undercoating. I'll also pull the seats as I have some original E30 Alpina's in perfect condition and I'll take the time to pull the dash and carpet, steam clean carpet and clean/rust proof the floor board as well and do the new bushings and Z3 shifter at that time as well.

I'm gonna save this summer and enjoy the car as is until next winter as I plan an engine rebuild with new chain, guides, evo exhaust cam sprocket (torque! whoo!), bearings, springs, valves, piston rings etc. I also plan on removing attempted clear coat and to buff, clay bar, and wax the original paint as that will be done when I have enough time to do it perfectly.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Keep an eye on the rear camber and toe adjustments since those are known to come lose under competitive driving. Good call on the RSM reinforcements, I badly need to get some for my car.
HSAX Instructor

Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:24 am

The M3 will only see spirited driving, nothing competitive but I'll keep an eye on it : )
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:07 am

MAAAAAAAAAAAN no pix? fuuuck you korben or however you spell it!

Also, I hate IE mounts. HATE them. Last set I had, the "cups" pulled out after like 15 miles of driving.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:00 am

Eh, someone recommended them as they had be redesigned since having the falling apart issues, we'll see how they do. I ain't got pics because I don't have a cheap camera to use when working on cars, maybe I'll pick on up this weekend : )
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:37 pm

smart phones have cameras. Or do they still use black/white screens in germany? I thought euro land was more advanced in cell tech than the US.

See about that... I don't trust something like that. You fucked up once, why should I trust you now? Free market son! You don't want to replace engine mounts as often as you do oil changes.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Motor mount every oil change! Woo! Gonna use an old phone to take car pics when I'm working, found my first spot of rust in the floor board about the size of my pinky but was fixed and fiber glassed already.

Question, Apex Arc-8's or BBS RC302s? Ignoring the 400 ish difference in price that is :P
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm not good with rims. they look the exact same to me >_<
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Gonna try and work out something with Lee for some Arc-8s, rather excited as they're a wonderful fit, light, strong, and super clean looking wheels : )
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:05 pm

ARC8s. I've seen so many bent BBS now that I feel their strengths are over-rated.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:43 pm

So, M3 went back stateside with the M3 specific Arc-8s on it, 17x8.5 et20, as well as new tires. I have done have the bushings and the other half (RSFB and shock mounts) will be done when I PCS back and can put on my reinforced subframe! I'll be hoping to pick up my M3 from port the first week of May and drive it back to Texas. Plan is to accumulate parts while in Georgia and rebuild the S14 later. I'll be getting a DD with good horsepower and I have a spare turbo and M20 for the 325is later so the S14 will be staying super stock but redone in every manner :D
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Ryki's Intro M3

Postby M20_fever » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:24 am

Awesomeness! Have you priced out the rebuild on an s14? Yikes.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:57 am

Gonna visit me for some korean bbq right?
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:55 pm

For parts for a mild rebuild it's 6k+.... And yes, Yoshi will be seen. I have 3 on 3 off for five months in Georgia so I'll be hitting you up occasionally :D

Return to “Builds”