Yoshi's E46 wagon saga

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Yoshi's E46 wagon saga

Postby Yoshi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Eh, might as well post here right? hehe. If you don't know about my wagon, it's a project I picked up for $1100 cuz it overheated thinking it was a simple fix. Long story short, the motor is shot and automatic. So for another $700... I picked up my donor car (328 instead of a 323). Sadly it wouldn't start or even crank over well enough to compression check it so I'm gambling fairly big on this. But I did get it for super cheap.

It is pretty hard up. It does have one heated seat. The PO also seemed to be a "club" promoter. I'm guessing hispanic....

Regardless, this is why I wanted it:

The car made it to the shop because it "needed a clutch" and never came back for it (8 years ago). The clutch pedal simply feels like the master or the slave died as it's super spongy and I can vaguely hear a "click" when I press down on the clutch.

The plan for right now is to check/fill fluids and try to get the car to start. The battery was dead dead dead (obviously) but my wagon's battery could only muster a series of "clicks" from the starter. I'm charging both batteries but I don't think that's the issue. I have a fresh ground strap for the engine, will clean up the terminals, and maybe smack the starter with a hammer a few times. I won't pull the motor until I can guarantee the motor is good or bad.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Yoshi's E46 wagon saga

Postby M20_fever » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:11 pm

man, you sure like taking chances, lol. Al least you can probably get $300 just for the scrap yard to come haul it away.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I figure the manual swap parts are a nice plus. I can transfer and fix the front window on the wagon too ($300 new). Plus I can part out the motor and accessories if necessary. Scrap around here will give me $0 for the shell though. Worst case, I'm likely out 2-300 but I have a crap ton of parts and misc upgrades. EG - the 328 brakes are a smidge bigger than the 323 ones. MBK! (not big enough to be bbk).
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:17 pm

Yay the battery had a dead cell. I had another mid charged battery and the car turned but wouldn't start. I tried some starter fluid and just got a few sputters before the battery gave out. The battery is being charged right now and I bit the bullet on a jump box for extra fun. The motor did turn over pretty strong though. I think the fuel might be bad. Sadly, it has a half a tank so draining it will be fun. Gonna drain it, put on a new fuel filter, and give it about 2 gallons of fresh fuel. I wonder what a good way to test fuel pressure. I can't easily attach to soft lines. Is there an easy way to tell if fuel is bad?
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:16 am

Smell it. I can't really describe the smell, but if you've ever smelled fresh gas vs bad gas you can tell instantly.
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:24 pm

smells like lacquer thinner, looks brown and more viscous than good gas. Honestly, just smell it, you know what fresh gas smells like, bad gas smells nothing like that. I saw your FB post, if its been sitting for 7 years it's 100% bad. Even with stabilizer gas will only last a couple years.

I would just siphon from the filler neck. Get as much out as you can, then top off the tank with fresh gas and a couple cans of seafoam and start it. I wouldn't try just adding a couple gallons, all that's going to do is concentrate all the shit that has no doubt settled in the bottom of the tank and push it through the fuel system. Might not even be a bad idea to pull the feed line off the fuel rail and jump the pump to flush the old gas out as far as you can, you really don't want that old gas going through your injectors.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Google says a siphon won't fit down the filler neck. If it's thick, I can't pump out from the fuel lines. Might have to pull the fuel pump and siphon from there.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:26 pm

how would a siphon (rubber hose) not fit down the filler neck? The gas pump is larger than the hose you would use to siphon and that seems to fit fine. That said, pulling the pump and siphoning from there would probably get more out just because you could move the hose around to get the nooks and crannies. If it's to thick to pump through the fuel line your already fucked because it's already in the lines, and probably the fuel rail.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:11 pm

Well the fuel in the tank visually looks good. Clear and no particles floating around. So I didn't bother trying to siphon any out. I pulled out the fuel filter and tried to start the car, assuming that I could watch the fuel drain from the hose and hopefully let it siphon itself. But much to my surprise, nothing came out after the initial bit. So I swapped relays and checked every fuse in the car with no success. So I finally got to the fuel pump and tested that it was getting 12v for 5 seconds with the key on. Yep. So I yanked the fuel pump and bench tested it. Nope.

Ok. I need a fuel pump. Good thing I have another car with a good one in it! Too bad I ran out of daylight and it started to rain. PS damn you bmw with your single use hose clamps. Also why the hell won't the fuel pump easily go all the way back in? Feels like it's hitting something. Freaking thing works like a mason jar.
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:39 am

Do those tanks not have drain plugs? My 86 e30 fuel tank has a drain plug. Never checked any of my other e30's. Did you try beating the hell out of the fuel pump with a hammer or something while it's powered? If it's not pumping what's the worst that could happen if you pimp slap the ever living shit out of it?
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:07 pm

The tanks are plastic so allegedly they come out easier and you shouldn't need to drain it? I'm not sure. But the fuel def does look normal and not smell bad. Why not try to use it?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:32 pm

I've never seen an e30 tank with a drain, no idea about later models. If it looks and smells like normal gas I'm guessing it's not really 7 years old since gas simply will not last that long. If it does still seem good give it a shot, if the car runs top off the tank with some premium and move on. E30 pumps are the same way, not sure why they are such a bitch to get back in but I've fought them before. They always end up slipping in. I assumed there was some kind of baffle down there to prevent fuel starvation in corners or something and it hits that if you don't stab it in perfect. I tried to look last time I had one out but my lighter was dead. :)
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Even early models have the drains. It's on the passenger's side about mid way on the bottom of the tank. Tiny tiny allen key.

I think the rubber grommet that sets into the tank is old and thicker than it should be. It's spongy, not like I'm hitting something.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:23 pm

What do you know? It runs! Sounded like hell when it first started up but most of the whine went away after a few minutes
https://instagram.com/p/-Uh_tUTAQp/

So the fuel pump did it. The fuel in the tank was fine. The clutch is definitely hosed. When I press down on it, the car tries to die and I hear a sound like you're grinding gears. I'm pretty sure it's not the hydraulic system at this point but examination can take care of that. Ok.. now what do I do? Anyone want the M52 engine and auto trans?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:40 am

wait, i thought you only bought it for the engine?
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Builds”