Trunk lock cylinder removal

Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Trunk lock cylinder removal

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:38 am

So here is a little write-up on how to remove the trunk lock cylinder. My car is an '87, not sure if there is any differences for late model cars.

So first off, you have to remove the assembly from the car. There are 2 bolts to remove from inside the trunk, along with a rod which I believe is for the central locking. Once you get the assembly out of the car it should look like this:
Now, I had the 2 bolts screwed back into the assembly so I wouldn't lose them. Remove them, and then peel off the gasket on the back of the assembly, be careful not to damage it.
Next we want to remove the little C clip at the top of the lock cylinder assembly, you can see it here:
Clip removed:
Now what we want to do is slide the little collar that clip was holding down off the lock cylinder. WARNING! Hold your hand around the lock cylinder as you do this, there is a very small ball and spring that will shoot out as soon as you start sliding the collar up. They are VERY easy to lose if they go flying, ask me how I know. You can see the spring in this pic:
And the spring, ball, and collar removed:
In the next pic you can see the function of the spring and ball. Basically they are what causes the collar to'snap' into one position or the other. Without them the collar will just rotate without any resistance. Note the wear marks where the ball slides:
So next up we need to remove the snap ring you can see here:
So you'll want a set of pinching/compressing snap ring pliers, place them in the 2 holes in the snap ring like so:
And then compress the snap ring, and remove. Warning: Contents under pressure. Behind the snap ring is a washer, and pressing against that is the spring that keep pressure on the lock button when you press it to open the trunk. This is how everything will look when removed, stacked up in the order they belong:
And everything laid out:
So if your lock looks anything like mine did, your most likely going to find a good deal of dirt/old grease/corrosion built up on everthing. Definitely take some time to clean it up. In the next picture, note that there are 2 groves in the housing that the lock cylinder has to allign with when going back in. No need to worry about keeping track of which way the cylinder lines up, the 'knobs' for lack of a better word, are sized differently so the cylinder can only go in one way. Also note the 'cavity' between the chrome button and the lock cylinder. if you need this button off, you basically have to pry it off from here. I was able to use my snap ring pliers to do the job.
Basically the only thing holding this chrome button piece on is 2 little dimples that you can see one either side of the button. Once you get the button off, you will be able to see the 2 little holes where those dimples sit. And most likely the scratches left from those dimples being forced along the sides of the lock cylinder. Also note there is a little O-ring in the end, and is most likely very brittle from being 20+ years old.
Next pic is just everything laid out:
Putting everything back together is the reverse of removal, make sure everything is cleaned up, and you may want to lubricate the lock cylinder so that it slides smoothly. Also be warned, getting that little ball and spring back into place as you slide the collar down is a complete pain in the ass. I ended up having to have a friend push the button in (so we had some more room) and then I held the ball/spring down while sliding the collar over it.

While I had everything apart, i took the time to repaint the housing, as mine has definitely seen better days.
And all back together:
And there ya go! If I ever get around to taking out my door lock cylinders, I will update this thread with a write-up on them as well. Any questions/comments/concerns feel free to let me know. And if you happen to know any of the more technical names of the parts involved please let me know, I was drawing blanks lol.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Trunk lock cylinder removal

Postby M20_fever » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Very nice, sticky. I would have replaced the oring and gasket though.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:07 pm

Yeah gasket is probly a good idea to replace, but I wanted it back together so I could drive the car without having a hole in the trunk. The O-ring I would definitely do though, that one literally crumbled when I started handling it. But, the lock I took apart and did the write-up with is actually my spare, I couldn't even get the chrome button off the one on the car. I had to take the spare apart because I lost the little spring and ball when I took the first one apart, hence the warnings.
dahabit
E30 Guy

Postby dahabit » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Just what I was looking for.
dahabit
E30 Guy

Postby dahabit » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm having some issues with my trunk lock. Not really sure what the problem is, my best guess is it's the actuator.

I'll post a video soon, to get everyones opinion.

Return to “General Tech”