Best way to line up M20 stock exhaust?

Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Best way to line up M20 stock exhaust?

Postby Yoshi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:27 pm

Doing a clutch job. Everything is basically done minus the slave and exhaust. I took the exhaust out as one piece. I was trying to get it back in that way. It's not lining up right. Hitting the sway bar, then just not moving. Etc. Since it's just little old me with the car on jack stands it's not that easy. I might break the exhaust back in half since I have the parts/gaskets to put it back together. Blah.

Suggestions on how to do this? Since the first step in basically EVERY damn job on the M20 is the exhaust (or rad removal). I figure people have to be good at doing this by now right? RIGHT?!
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Best way to line up M20 stock exhaust?

Postby M20_fever » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:50 am

I never had an issue lining it up...its hitting on the front or rear sway bar? I start at the down pipes and work backwards.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:30 am

Front sway. I don't see how it could hit the rear lol. It's just not at a perfect angle. It seems like if I could levitate it, I could do this easily. Lol...
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:20 pm

It's a serious pain. It really is a 2-person job, but you can get it by yourself if you're really patient.

Use a jack instead of jackstands. I was able to get it by jacking the muffler section up with the jack and then sliding it into place. The jack should move some to help you get it into place. IIRC, you may have to slide it in over the sway bar before you jack the back section up, but I might have the process backwards.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I wound up supporting the exhaust mid cat and placing it about where it needed to be when done. I basically had to get the exhaust 100% lined up everywhere else before it would go into place. But, when I did, it clicked in very quickly. I was quite surprised.

Then... the clutch master shat on me. YAY

Return to “General Tech”