Yoshi's E46 build

Post a build of your car or project HERE
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Yoshi's E46 build

Postby Yoshi » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:51 pm

I suppose I might as well post this here cuz... fuck it. My forum I can do what I want to.

I picked up a previously slammed hotboi 330 e46 with a shot engine, some body work issues, and lots more issues for $1k delivered to my house. Can't really complain honestly. This car was so bare bones, they only gave me 2 out of 5 rims (shoulda had a full size spare). I'm gonna slowly do the body work but otherwise, I just want to get this thing on the road. Picked up a replacement motor from an equivalent 530.

Gonna swap out the motor, verify it starts and runs, and then move onto getting it road worthy. This build is supposed to be a bare bones track car. No frills while maintaining OEM comfort and shit. The car will get a bucket seat, coils, angle mods, and a welded diff. Anything else is just maintenance and replacement parts.

Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Yoshi's E46 build

Postby Yoshi » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 pm

M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Does this count as a 24v swap?
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Sure? Technically it isn't even a swap since it's the same motor. Everything I'm doing now is to just get the damn thing running. Next step is to replace the two brake lines from the ABS unit back. Can't wait... It's not too bad from what I remember, I just hate bending lines. Especially since it's a 2x 12 foot lines.

I think I'm even going to do stock subframe bushings in the rear. I want to keep daily drivability. This car's only mods will be a seat, coils, and a welded diff. Although with the DME tuning, I'm gonna see how much I can do with it.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:06 pm

lol, "I want to keep daily drivability." and "welded diff" does not compute. If you're worried about subframe tearing a welded diff is probably the best way to make sure it happens. What's wrong with an LSD?
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Well I'm still welding in the reinforcements. The package just showed up last night lol.

LSD options for E46s are poo at best. The M3 diff is kind of an LSD but even for drifting they don't work well. No other factory LSD option unlike E30s. So then I have to get a $2k LSD from the aftermarket and the $300 more for the bearings and whatever else you need to get the unit into the car.

So yea. I hate welded diffs but $0 vs $2300? I'll put up with it for now. Plus, on the street, it's not so bad unless it's snowing or raining or you're below 5mph in a parking lot
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm

you can't put a z3 LSD in like people do in e30s?
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 pm

The physical casing is very different so I'd have to swap innards. That would include bearings and tools I still don't have. Plus, whenever the LS goes in, I'm swapping to the M3 210mm rear diff so welding the stock diff is great for now (it's a 188).

I might look harder into LSD options for the M3 diff down the way. I think I need to get an X5 diff for the ratio I want, then find another LSD in a 210 size. But I have so much to think about right now that welding and going makes the most sense.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 pm

I get it, sometimes I need to remind myself not to get so caught up in the "best way" to do something to the point I never get to even use it because I don't have the means/time to do it exactly how I want. I get reminded of this every time I have to do a track day hack to keep the car in the runnings. Yep, it may be ghetto, but guess what, I'm out there racing and not cussing in my garage.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:55 pm

With my limited funding, I'm making these decisions all the time. The trailing arm bushings probably should be replaced. But I slapped the limiters on from the M3 set that came with them (yay $0 mod). The only things I'm spending time/money on are the things that REALLY matter. Subframe reinforcements, suspension components, angle kit. The rest can be shitty for now. I got YEARS to fix this car up the rest of the way. I just want to do the stuff I can't do later, now.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:51 am

Works pretty well IMO

Return to “Builds”